• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Proper rest for a long rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My flintlock long rifle is giving me FITS. She doesn't group the way she should. Nor is her point of impact remotely consistent.
She used to cut patches, but I fixed that.
I talked with Chuck Dixon. Told him my tale of woe. The first thing he asked was where I was resting her off the bench.
I told him that I had my bag between the triggerguard and where the entry thimble would be. If she had one. He told me that was the problem and I should rest her as close to the muzzle as possible. If anyone knows how to shoot a long rifle, its Chuck. He said to zero and then check it for changes offhand.
So. Where do you folk rest your rifles? I'm gonna give the muzzle rest a try tomorrow.
Fingers crossed. My.luck hasn't been the best lately...

When working up a load, I rest mine close to the muzzle on a soft rest. Folded rag or such. That gives the least amount of muzzle movement.

Get one as close to the muzzle as your bench will allow while still giving you good support for your arms. If possible, put a second one in the same place you have been. This will give maximum support to the barrel and minimize the chances of minor (involuntary) muscle movement from moving your point of aim too far. After that, it's all about shooting fundamentals: bracing your body correctly in line with the rifle stock, breathing, sight alignment, trigger control, and follow-through.

I rest both my half and full stock rifles at the same point as Sun City shown above, on my hand or bag/pad. I also try to keep my shoulders at a 90 degree angle to the barrel, and place a support bag under the toe of the stock.

Attachments

• 04864A8E-B07D-49A9-A970-6FBBFD1066EC.jpeg
    04864A8E-B07D-49A9-A970-6FBBFD1066EC.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 104
When sighting in long thin weight barreled rifles , putting the front rest support at the muzzle could put barrel flex upward. Then after the rifle is sighted in and a normal offhand hold is taken , the rifle point of impact is low. In a thick barreled rifle , this anomaly is not in effect due to no upward barrel flex . So , long thin barrel rifles should be rested in the offhand position on the bench. A second suggestion , most long rifles w/stocks designed to be shot "offhand" ,need to be held in that position when sighted in. so in other words , put the rest under the rifle to the rear the same as if holding the gun in the offhand position. Hold the rifle firmly w/both hands to allow for the ignition time , 1/20 th sec. to elapse until the ball is out of the barrel. . Don't "crawl up" onto the stock with your cheek position , Lay you're cheek on the rifle the same as done in the offhand position , when shooting at the bench rest. So much to remember ? , not really , just practice , practice , practice to make it all mechanical , so no thought is required for an accurate shot.........oldwood

I have a friend who has won just about everything muzzleloading around the country, I went over to his place to shoot a new flintlock I made in .40., .40 is just about all he shoots competition. He has an elaborate a fixed shooting bench behind his shop and a 100 yard range. The bench has an adjustable support to hold the rifle at the muzzle.

He told me if you want to see how well your rifle really shot, support it right at the muzzle, nuff said.

This topic is in the "whatever works for you" category". If all rifles were constructed the same , one answer would fit. Go to the range , seek consistency in all respects , and try to find out what works for you. And Yup.....the .40 is a very accurate caliber. it's my overall under 100 yard hunting/practice offhand rifle. The .40 seems to not care much what is put down the muzzle , it is just accurate. You still gotta practice , so lets git shootin....... oldwood

never tried it either, I will. I have been shooting all my life, I am 63, mostly modern centerfires. I have been handloading since I was 10 years old. I have never shot rifles off a bench with the muzzle supported as not to put upward pressure on the barrel, but that was not full stock rifles. but I do have several full stock centerfires, I love them. but it is wildly know accuracy with them is hit and miss. maybe I will try supporting the muzzle on them also and see what I get,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Good info and something I never really thought about with a full stock rifle, I have never rested near the muzzle on an unmentionable most of mine have free floating barrels. When I shoot my flinter I shoot the same way; a mechanical rest and a sandbag near the point of balance of the rifle, with a small squeeze bag under the butt near my shoulder. Ill have to try both ways and see if it changes anything.

Olskool, I think this is cats of a different color if you will. There is a bit of difference between a muzzle loader and a unmentionable even a full length stocked one. I would think barrel harmonics would be greatly influenced too start with. I use a very good rest for those type rifles and never place my support hand between the rest and the rifle. A lot of situations can be fixed in just fundamentals especially breathing and trigger control. Do let us know how it goes for you.

I just assumed muzzle support was the best. Ever help someone carry a heavy object? One person on each end is a lighter load than someone stuck closer to the middle. Lighter is steadier! I support at the muzzle, right hand on the wrist with trigger finger ready. The left forearm is horizontal, laying flat on the bench with the hand tucked close to my right arm pit. For me ( not criticizing Sun City) I prefer no hand/arm under the forearm. Every beat of your heart is resinated through the stock, so eliminate the left hand/arm. You can't see heart beat with open sights, but it is there! Look through a 9 power scope sometime and watch the crosshairs bounce all over the target.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇲

Go to a bench match, light or unlimited, and see where they are resting the rifles. They are resting them at the muzzle!

Look to see where the cant bars are attached, at the muzzle.

There is a reason for what they do.

Sun City's target, take it to 100 and the group doubles, over a 3" group.

what is the CAL. OF YOUR RIFLE. what is the twist of the rifling? if i get that i can tell you what and how to shoot to make it a tackdriver.

Glad this topic came up. I hadn't heard of the muzzle support being better. Aside from my mediocre marksmanship, this might explain a certain lack of consistency when working up a load. Thanks.

Jeff

I try to shoot from the bench as I would shoot off hand. I often find myself at the bench lowering my body to the gun instead of raising the gun to my body as one does off hand. I'll shoot good groups but then when I shoot off hand, I find that the rifle shoots to a different spot than when on the bench.

Back