Proper Knife Sheath

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

4570tc

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What would a Proper Belt knife Sheath for the F&I period look like? and pictures would be knice

LRB

75 Cal.
Reaction score
With the exception of NA quilled sheaths, there is little to go on. Center seam types turn up in Euro art, hanging from the belt by thongs. The most common belt knife on the early frontier seems to have been an imported butcher or scalper knife rather than the large long local smith made types that is seen so often today. The scalpers were imported and center seam sheaths sewn up the back for them were also. I would think that anyone needing to make a sheath for their knife might copy the simple common imported center seam type, or a simple plain wrap around side seam.

crockett

Cannon
Reaction score
Well probably two types- both pretty crude. First would be two pieces of leather stitched up along the seams- this could be a rawhide thong in a running stitch- in one hole and out the next, or sinew wrapped- whip stitched- around the edge of the sheath.
The other would be a one piece "center seam" Fold over the two sides and sew such that the seam is in the middle-in front- this actually is a pretty good design as the edge is covered by leather rather than just the stitches.
The subject of a belt loop or slots... I'm not sure on that. A lot of sheaths lacked them and were just stuck under a belt. You can add a rawhide thong to tie the sheath to a belt if you are concerned the sheath might slip out.

LRB

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Although nice work, the one on the left is western and later period than F&I. The one on the right would be fine enough.

Belleville

32 Cal.
Reaction score
See pic. below.

Attachments

• Knife sheaths.JPG
    Knife sheaths.JPG
    348.2 KB · Views: 205

Crow-Feather

32 Cal.
Reaction score
OK, believe that you are a fur trapper and need a knife sheath. You know what you need and what fits you and your style. My green river skinner sits in a sheath that is part of my possible bag. It works well for me. Now, is it period? Well, if I was a trapper in 1835, I would still put my green river in a sheath as part of my possible bag. So for me, it is period. I wrapped the handle of my green river skinner with leather lacing, then smothered it with water proof gloop. Is that period? If I was a trapper in 1835, I would do the same using whale or bear oil. So for me it is period. If I do what I want only using the tools and leathers of the period, then I would believe that there was a fur trapper that had the same convoluted mind as mine in the 1830's.
Can you see yourself as a fur trapper going into a rendezvous, and asking for a knife sheath that was the same as Daniel Boones?
Rendezvous sorta remind me off an 1840's fashion show with the winner most resembling a picture of a fur trapper that got dressed up to have his picture taken.
If you go out for a week and live of the land, and you only think in the terms of what was available in the 1830's, you will learn about what you as a trapper need.
Using the tools of the period, learn to create, not imitate.

Last edited:

Brokennock

75 Cal.
Reaction score
OK, believe that you are a fur trapper and need a knife sheath. You know what you need and what fits you and your style. My green river skinner sits in a sheath that is part of my possible bag. It works well for me. Now, is it period? Well, if I was a trapper in 1835, I would still put my green river in a sheath as part of my possible bag. So for me, it is period. I wrapped the handle of my green river skinner with leather lacing, then smothered it with water proof gloop. Is that period? If I was a trapper in 1835, I would do the same using whale or bear oil. So for me it is period. If I do what I want only using the tools and leathers of the period, then I would believe that there was a fur trapper that had the same convoluted mind as mine in the 1830's.
Can you see yourself as a fur trapper going into a rendezvous, and asking for a knife sheath that was the same as Daniel Boones?
Rendezvous sorta remind me off an 1840's fashion show with the winner most resembling a picture of a fur trapper that got dressed up to have his picture taken.
If you go out for a week and live of the land, and you only think in the terms of what was available in the 1830's, you will learn about what you as a trapper need.
This is the French and Indian War reenacting section. What is the relevance of 1830's fur trapper equipment?

Crow-Feather

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This is the French and Indian War reenacting section. What is the relevance of 1830's fur trapper equipment?
I am sorry. I did not know that I was in the the French and Indian War reenacting section. I humbly apologize for my mistake. I attempted to pull my post but do not know how to do that. Please excuse my error.

Brokennock

75 Cal.
Reaction score
I am sorry. I did not know that I was in the the French and Indian War reenacting section. I humbly apologize for my mistake. I attempted to pull my post but do not know how to do that. Please excuse my error.
Don't pull it. Might want to copy and paste it into a post in the right section.
I kind of figured you didn't realize which section you were in. Lol. Was hoping you had some info beyond what you posted.

Crow-Feather

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Don't pull it. Might want to copy and paste it into a post in the right section.
I kind of figured you didn't realize which section you were in. Lol. Was hoping you had some info beyond what you posted.
Only that what is period is what you make using only what was available during that period.

flntlokr

Bug Hunter
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I feel exactly the same way. Whatever a person can come up with using the tools and materials of the times, is as correct as it can get. I would bet that a lot of the old timers carried their favourite skinner wrapped up in an oiled cloth in their bag so they wouldn't get lost or dulled; utility knife on the belt for easy access. Having worked for about 40 years in the forest, hauling around a lot of different gear, including a number of 'belt' knives that were in use almost daily, the best sheath is one that: 1. doesn't fall off your belt (lost 1). 2. doesn't jam the butt up into your ribs if you make a sudden sit-down fall (first aid in the bush, stitches later) 3. doesn't allow the knife to fall out when tipped up (lost 1). A person going out once a month to mess around in the bush often has a lot of impractical stuff hanging off them. Go lean and mean, and you will be closer to 'correct' anywhere except on the dance floor.

Brokennock

75 Cal.
Reaction score
So a Tom Three Persons, or Slim Jim holster would be fine for a flintlock Ketland Trade pistol, how about an Askin's Avenger holster? They are all made of leather which is period.
If one takes some linen fabric, rips then seams from a pair of Levi's and uses them as an pattern, and sews a pair of "jeans" matching the Levi's pattern out of the linen, they must be period correct for any time period that had linen fabric by this logic. I wonder who destroyed all those paintings of people wearing hip hugger bell bottoms during Lord Dunmore's War. Must be a conspiracy.
I can't

Reaction score
Necessity is the mother of all creations. Correct representation is all in the creators mind. Period correct is from re-search which once found is ones view and opinion on the subject. We attempt to re-create the period but usually these issues stand in our way, do the best you can and be happy with out come.

Ike Godsey

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Necessity is the mother of all creations. Correct representation is all in the creators mind. Period correct is from re-search which once found is ones view and opinion on the subject. We attempt to re-create the period but usually these issues stand in our way, do the best you can and be happy with out come.

I agree.

This is my knife for FIW.

40122529mv.jpg

40122530pf.jpg

40122531cn.jpg