• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Proper Horn and Shooting/Possibles Bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All,

I am trying to gather all things I need to properly represent my ancestor's journey through Tennessee and Arkansas on their way to Texas. We were in Tennessee in the 1790's and Arkansas from around 1820 to 1830. My people did own and sell land and had some livestock but weren't rich. Kje 54 has got me on track for the proper attire, so I want to follow up with accessories. I guess this is one of those times where I need a "Thread Counter" to give me some guidance on how I should approach this and the items that should be or not be in said bag or on my person. I don't mind the leg work if there are references that I need to read that would be Great! Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

RM

All,

I am trying to gather all things I need to properly represent my ancestor's journey through Tennessee and Arkansas on their way to Texas. We were in Tennessee in the 1790's and Arkansas from around 1820 to 1830. My people did own and sell land and had some livestock but weren't rich. Kje 54 has got me on track for the proper attire, so I want to follow up with accessories. I guess this is one of those times where I need a "Thread Counter" to give me some guidance on how I should approach this and the items that should be or not be in said bag or on my person. I don't mind the leg work if there are references that I need to read that would be Great! Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

RM
That's cool! What attire did you come up with? I'm going to guess you would carry a Southern Mountain Rifle or an old Barn Gun?

OK, So I did order a TVM southern Basic. Now that I know that TVM's aren't necessarily correct thats OK. I am going to use it and shoot it and enjoy it and use it as a model when building a "Correct" version. I will be retiring soon and I want to build a few rifles and bow's in the mean time. I went to the Townsends web site and I am not sure exactly how I am going to go but I am going to call them next week and explain my situation and then make the move. The problem is, I know my Grand Parents and remember a little of my Great Grandparents and they were a frugal bunch. I do have a picture of one of the Patriarchs (early 1890's) and he has a pretty much standard nice set up but like my grandfather the only extra stuff he had was a nice watch and a diamond ring. Most of his pics are of working cows and tending to the ranch. My Grandfather did have a belt buckle with ruby's but otherwise they were very plain. They didn't make a show of themselves, pretty plain and simple but they certainly had the means to do so... so I am not sure. This is going to be fun.

If you can get ahold of Elmer Kelton's Sons of Texas trilogy, (Sons of Texas, The Raiders, and The Rebels), I think you will find a lot of inspiration. You can probably find used copies online for $4-$5 each. Kelton was a "western" writer and novelist, which makes most people think of cowboys, but he was a native Texan and an excellent historical researcher. These books follow a family that moved from Tennessee to Texas shortly before the Texas Revolution. The Rebels has nothing to do with the Civil War... it is about the Texas Revolution. These books are historical fiction at its best. The story they tell will probably help you round out your own.

The next thing I would recommend would be to look up my buddy @Einsiedler , who frequents this forum. He is in Texas and is involved in reenactment. I've corresponded with him on occasion and the depth of his historical knowledge, especially with regard to the Texas frontier, is remarkable. He could probably give you very good suggestions for getting geared up properly.

In looking at your avatar and your name, Rod-Man, I'll bet you would hit it off really well with Einsiedler. He portrays an early Texas surveyor...

Good luck!

Notchy Bob

You probably won't believe this when I say My Wife's father was a friend of Kelton. I wanted to make sure before I responded to you first post. Sure enough they were buddies and she may have the books or her Brother and they are all autographed etc...Wow! Small world. I will most assuredly follow up with Mr. Einsiedler.

Thanks again!,

RM

Sure enough, can't believe it.

219D1E17-AB6E-46A7-83D8-34F0FDD4C41A.jpeg

As they say, "You can't judge a book by its cover." I don't know who chose or commissioned the cover art for these books, but he clearly didn't read them. The story, continued over the three books, is about fellows carrying flintlock rifles. I'm glad you have them, and with the interests you have, I think you'll enjoy them. That's pretty cool, that you have a connection to the author!

I shot muzzleloaders early in life but went for a long time without shooting or doing much with guns at all when my job and career took off. I was finally able to carve out some time in the late nineties and got into cowboy action shooting. I like to read, and bought all three of these Sons of Texas books maybe twenty years ago from a discount warehouse, based on vague descriptions by the seller and the writer's reputation. I was expecting typical western novels.

Wrong!

These are the books that got me back into muzzleloading. Never looked back.

I would also recommend Noah Smithwick's Evolution of a State. This is a memoir by someone who was actually there, in Texas in the 1820's up until the Civil War. You might not get much specific information about what type of hats they wore or what their shot bags looked like, but you'll get a lot about the life and attitudes of the time. Smithwick was a gunsmith, and had a lot to say about firearms on the frontier.

I would also recommend Frederick Gerstaecker's Wild Sports in the Far West for information about life on the Arkansas frontier in the 1830's. Gerstaecker was fascinated by and documented everything he saw. At one point, he needed a new hunting shirt. He described going through the entire process, from how he killed the deer, how the skins were brain-tanned and smoked, to actually cutting out and stitching the shirt. Great book. Both of these, the Smithwick and Gerstaecker books, are excellent primary references for the time and places that interest you. They are easy to read and well written. I think both are available online for free via Google Books.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Rodman,

Not to change the subject,,,,

But,,,

View attachment 59927

Daaaayyyyuuumnn! That is absolutely awesome!!! Wow! My introduction into surveying and all things geospatial is a long one. I’ll be getting in touch with you soon sir! Wow, how cool is that! Flintlocks and surveying! Ha!

As they say, "You can't judge a book by its cover." I don't know who chose or commissioned the cover art for these books, but he clearly didn't read them. The story, continued over the three books, is about fellows carrying flintlock rifles. I'm glad you have them, and with the interests you have, I think you'll enjoy them. That's pretty cool, that you have a connection to the author!

I shot muzzleloaders early in life but went for a long time without shooting or doing much with guns at all when my job and career took off. I was finally able to carve out some time in the late nineties and got into cowboy action shooting. I like to read, and bought all three of these Sons of Texas books maybe twenty years ago from a discount warehouse, based on vague descriptions by the seller and the writer's reputation. I was expecting typical western novels.

Wrong!

I would also recommend Noah Smithwick's Evolution of a State. This is a memoir by someone who was actually there, in Texas in the 1820's up until the Civil War. You might not get much specific information about what type of hats they wore or what their shot bags looked like, but you'll get a lot about the life and attitudes of the time. Smithwick was a gunsmith, and had a lot to say about firearms on the frontier.

I would also recommend Frederick Gerstaecker's Wild Sports in the Far West for information about life on the Arkansas frontier in the 1830's. Gerstaecker was fascinated by and documented everything he saw. At one point, he needed a new hunting shirt. He described going through the entire process, from how he killed the deer, how the skins were brain-tanned and smoked, to actually cutting out and stitching the shirt. Great book. Both of these, the Smithwick and Gerstaecker books, are excellent primary references for the time and places that interest you. They are easy to read and well written. I think both are available online for free via Google Books.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Thanks for the information, looks like I got some “leg work” to do!

RM

Yessir, Kinda figured that out. I am the one who bought the squirrel bag from Leroy. Bought it for my Grandson to go with his squirrel rifle once I get it build. So much to do! I am going to pick up a kit here in a few months or so and try my hand at putting one together. Then once I get a better idea of what is HC/PC with the assistance of you fine people , I will start gathering the items needed to properly represent my folks.

RM

Last edited:
Yessir, Kinda figured that out. I am the one who bought the squirrel bag from Leroy. Bought it for my Grandson to go with his squirrel rifle once I get it build. So much to do! I am going to pick up a kit here in a few months or so and try my hand at putting one together. Then once I get a better idea of what is HC/PC correct with the assistance of you fine people , I will start gathering the items needed to properly represent my folks.

RM

Though it is from a bit north and east of the area you are asking about, you might find all the stuff found with this rifle in it's hunting pouch.

Original Flint Rifle, Pouch, Horn, Priming Horn, Bullet Board | The Muzzleloading Forum

Gus

Wrong!

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Books Ordered.

Thanks again.

RM

Just a quick update, things are progressing at a break neck speed! Books are being read, more books are coming in. Ancestors have been Identified, (Isaac G. Baker, defender of Alamo), other purchases have been made...with that being said, a friend text me today, “I just spent $3000 on a new fish Finder for my boat”. I replied, “I just spent $1500 for a horn, old clothes and a leather bag...”. Silence... he still hasn’t replied back!!! LOL! Mr. Einsiedler has been most helpful. This is fun!!!

Back