• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Proof testing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkephart

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been admiring some of the original smooth bores for sale on another web site.
Some of these are resonably priced but are presented with a warning that they are collecters only.
Do any of you have a procedure for proof testing an older gun that appears to be in good mechanical condition?

The ancient and tried method is to VERYFY THE WEAPON IS UNLOADED and then remove the barrel from the stock. Load a "normal" charge and prop the barrel in a sturdy but non-marring rest (between two tires with the breech inside the lower tire is standard). Use a cannon fuse to fire the charge; giving you time to get behind a barricade of some type. If the barrel survives and shows no evidence of problems then overload it SLIGHTLY, maybe 20%, and try again. Recheck the barrel carefully.

After that it may or may not be safe to shoot. :shocking:

Stumpkillers description is very good, however I would load a third load, double ball or double charge, ie: for a 20 bore, I'd load 160gr.2F and 1 ball or 80gr. and 2 balls, with 200gr.2F and 1 ball for the 12 bore or 100gr. and 2 balls, etc. After shooting,as well as before, the barrels must be unbreeched to check fit and condition. Keep in mind for evermore, you are shooting anoriginal, that's perhaps 200years old, and poorly looked after as many were, from 1900 onwards.
: These loads will easily be "taken" by any gun in reasonable condition. They must be measured before and after firing, not merely looked at. By measuring, I mean width and depth of barrel at the breech, over the threads, over the powder chamber area, etc., on marker-ink(magic marker)marks so the same measurements can be repeated after the shooting tests.
: Any deep pits inside are reason to fore-go any shooting. Deep pits are common in Damascus barrels, and in time, will come out the side of a seemingly fine condition barrel. I've sen this twice out of the last three barrels recently inspected. They looked fine, except for a couple holes that went right though. Near the muzzles, they aren't dangerous, but at the breech, they are. That's why one needs to SEE themselves. Dental pics are very good at searching out holes. It is amazing how many small pitts on the oustide, actually go right through, but it's evident if fired.

Back