• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Proof marks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaggedRob

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi all
I am a complete novice at this and trying to identify a family pistol we have unearthed in the attic. From what I can gather from the internet it is percussion cap muzzle loader. I couldnt find any marks at first but then noticed 2 very small and fuzzy marks on the barrel. The best one looks like it could be Birmingahm but could anyone with a better attuned eye confirm or deny? I will try to attach a couple of reduced pics
Many thanks
Ragged Rob

Attachments

• manstopper pistol 2.jpg
    manstopper pistol 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230111_120139.jpg
    20230111_120139.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Please take pics with the pistol laid down flat on a neutral colour background - both sides. And measure the bore of the barrel.

However, before you do anything else, PLEASE make sure that it isn't loaded - many old guns 'found in attics' are found loaded.

Funny how in the 1800s you only needed a single shot to protect yourself with.
Now you need double stacked magazines. (which I own none of)

Being a man of virtue, I own many of both, a form of situational awareness.
Robby
You must be in a difficult situation. Since there are no caps about you cannot fire them. However, if you have been very clever and bought a flint lock, you are no better off as there is no powder about either. But! If you have a nice long arm, you can hold it at the muzzle and use it as a club.

Back