• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Proof marks on a percussion pocket pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plongy

32 Cal
Reaction score
C05391A9-DE51-4BED-B13A-C35843100A10.jpeg

Crown over U is German and was required starting with the 1891 Firearms Proof Act. Before 1891 Germany had no national proof requirements (only local ordinances) but afterward any firearm to be sold had to be proof tested. Guns that predated the Act would be submitted for proof if they were to be sold after that date

I thought about the German Crown over U -- but this seems to have 2 crowns ( of slightly different designs) and , its style would date it much earlier than 1891 , I would have thought -- maybe 1840's ?

I thought about the German Crown over U -- but this seems to have 2 crowns ( of slightly different designs) and , its style would date it much earlier than 1891 , I would have thought -- maybe 1840's ?

After the 1891 Act any firearm offered for sale had to be proofed to be legal. Older guns, which often had no proof marks or only local proofs had to be submitted to the proof house before they could be sold. Remember Germany did not exist as a nation until 1871, before that it was an assortment of various Princely states. Any older, local proofs were not valid under the new law. One reference states that it is common to find a stand alone crown above the regular proof as an indication of an older firearm submitted for proof. Your gun may be much earlier but cannot be dated from the later proof marks and if it has no other marks then it become purely guess work as to it's actual age

Ahhh !! That makes sense -- sorry , I had misunderstood your earlier reply as referring to unsold stocks of new guns straddling the 1871 date , not ALL guns without the new proof mark. Fascinating , thank you .

Back