• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Proof Mark

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These revolvers were the subject of an article in the May 1986 Gun Report titled "Adolf Frank's Piston Revolvers".
2q8u24j.jpg

They were in fact sold by the ALFA catalog of Adolf Franks (a European competitor of Francis Bannerman and Sons) in the early years of the 20th century. The article describes them as "perhaps the first true reproductions of Colt percussion revolvers made in the twentieth century".
vo95ck.jpg

Merry Christmas all. :hatsoff:
What a fun Thread. It was so interesting to read as other members chimed in to slowly unravel the mystery. I did not know these European Colt clones ever existed. It's also a great example of the value of this Forum.
A while back I posted what I thought was a French military pistol. With the help of members of this Forum we were able to determine the pistol was actually a Belgium "copy" of a French pistol of the period.
Thanks again for posting what turned out to be a super interesting Thread. Rick.

has been fun. The gunmaking fraternity around the Liege complex has been at it for centuries. Though they've got a bit of a rap in this country for the patent infringement copies of American, they still have put out quality products. Some years ago you could get pieces through Dixie for cheap and I've known at least two collectors who had lots of them. Just nutty enough to have fun with them.

Here's an interesting update I found on line at a web site for Belgium made guns. It may be the crowned crossed keys are really not anything!

BrevetMarkings2.jpg

A copy of the American COLT NAVY 1851 revolver called in LIEGE the “BROOKLYN BRIDGE” because of coarse engraving being reproduced on the barrel (suspension bridge and evolution of boats).
Inspired freely of the Navy Colt, it borrows the majority of its characteristics to him.
230 mm length, it is shorter than its model.
The octagonal barrel measures 100mm.
This type of weapon was manufactured by several arms manufacturers of Liège of which CLEMENT and RONGÉ and probably MASEREEL.
The majority of the marks were however whimsical such as for example the cross and crowned keys which are also reproduced on the CLEMENT-RONGÉ!
Most of these weapons were manufactured by Clément Rongé then have been resold by MASEREEL.
The lawful punches of the proofhouse of Liege are reproduced on the cylinder, namely:
Spangled ELG in a crowned oval: acceptance post 1893.
This date can appear late for a weapon with percussion but these BROOKLYN BRIDGE still appeared in the catalogue ALFA of 1911!
J spangled: countermark of the controller post 1893.
Other markings are:
PATENT SYSTEM: whimsical marking not meaning anything
Crowned cross keys: to see above.
A crowned: mark unknown and probably whimsical. One can consider A of Antoine MASEREEL but they are extremely doubtful!

I also found this proof mark in the picture of the gun:
BelgiumProof2.jpg

The seller is advertising this gun as a "Civil War" revolver. This proof mark wasn't even used in Belgium until 1894.

btech said:
This proof mark wasn't even used in Belgium until 1894.

An American import may have been submitted for proof when it arrived in Europe. In England a gun has to be in proof if I want to import, sell or hock it.

Back