• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Progress at last!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In the past had trouble with Lee Minnie .533 (410 gr.) not grouping well in my Traditions Whitetail .54 1:48. Had hoped to be able to cast an equivalent bullet to Hornady Great Plains (425 gr.) which seemed to shoot very well. "Groups" were three-minutes of dinner plate at 50 yards, so at that stage of my interest in muzzle loading and hunting I reverted to patched ball (which group very well for me) with 70 gr. Pyrodex.

After reading discussions here I've started using a 20 ga. 1/8" felt over-powder wad, 70 gr. Pyrodex, and "patching" the Minnie with coffee filter paper to tighten the fit at loading.

The difference is astounding. Past week's groups at 40 yards (what my current situation allows for such things) are roughly 3" with absolutely wonderfully "very-round" holes. The bullets seem to be well stabilized and the combination shoots as well or better than I do.

Thanks for a ton of information on this site.

Happy Thanksgiving Week to all.

Back