• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Production year question.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not really a revolver question, but I saw this proof on a revolver photo online. I have a chart of Italian proof codes, but I don’t see this particular proof marking. Is this C P proofed which would be 2016?
DBCA0E80-304F-4187-A825-29A08F8ADB03.jpeg

I do admit I am easily confused. Here is a pic of the right side of the frame that doesn’t appear to have a date code.

Attachments

• 5F097CB4-8748-4953-B0CE-2EDE23A0E32A.jpeg
    5F097CB4-8748-4953-B0CE-2EDE23A0E32A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
It does appear that it doesn't have one. The usual location would be forward of the proofs on the frame. Strange.
I have seen a few examples where the date code is on the barrel assembly. Earlier pistols did not have the date code in a box. Just Roman numerals stamped usually on the frame.

Last edited:
What manufacturer and model are we looking at? On some of my revolvers the date code is stamped on the frame underneath the trigger guard.

CIP is the acronym for for the "Permanent International Commission for the Proof of Small Arms". It's the equivalent of SAAMI here in the states but mandatory overseas & carries the weight of the law in member countries, where as SAAMI is a voluntary organization of manufacturers. No firearm can be sold in or exported from a CIP member country without the CIP stamp. BTW, any American firearms exported to a CIP country have to be proofed & stamped by CIP before they can be sold.

Thanks for all the info on these markings; this is all new to me.

This morning I gave my brand new just out of the box Pietta / Traditions 1860 it’s first really detailed cleaning and found IT2022 stamped on the underside of the barrel.

The proofs on the frame, barrel and cylinder look like those in my initial post and do not include any dates or date codes.

I haven’t yet removed the trigger guard so I don’t know what’s under it.

Attachments

• F71F7756-A7C6-496E-90ED-4C598DC16341.jpeg
    F71F7756-A7C6-496E-90ED-4C598DC16341.jpeg
    508 KB · Views: 0
There should not be anything stamped on the frame and covered by the trigger guard. I have never seen anything there on any model or make revolver I have disassembled. It's altogether too much work to remove the trigger guard on a Colt as the backstrap w/mainspring and the grips have to come off first unless you can worm the guard out by removing the 4 screws holding it. I have never tried that and don't recommend it. Pietta has started stamping a year under the barrel and the earliest I have seen this practice is 2019 and it still retains the traditional date code in a box on the frame.

Thanks for all the info on these markings; this is all new to me.

This morning I gave my brand new just out of the box Pietta / Traditions 1860 it’s first really detailed cleaning and found IT2022 stamped on the underside of the barrel.

The proofs on the frame, barrel and cylinder look like those in my initial post and do not include any dates or date codes.

I haven’t yet removed the trigger guard so I don’t know what’s under it.
2022 IS the date on the new one. They changed recently from letters to the actual year.

In June 0f 2020 CIP made a date code change from the letters to theactual year of proof. Some will have only the last two digits of the year of proof and some will have the full year like the example above. the IT preceding the date stands for Italy.

Attachments

• Italian_Year_of_Proof_Symbols_Modern_Black_Powder_Replicas_2020.jpg
    Italian_Year_of_Proof_Symbols_Modern_Black_Powder_Replicas_2020.jpg
    555.9 KB · Views: 0
Hello,
I am looking for information on the year of production of the Sabatti Trap shotgun, I only have the serial number 72224
Thanks in advance for information and help

Dryblas
I'm pretty sure that is a modern breechloading smokeless powder gun, please read our rules we do not discuss those type guns here. Go to a modern shotgun forum. If you want to discuss muzzleloading guns we would be happy to help.

The oldest Pietta I have that has an actual year is a 2018

Uberti went to a year in a circle recently , my 2 cartridge Ubertis and newer percussions have circled 22 or 23

I guess they got tired of using codes

Back