Probably not worth a thread

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Joined
Aug 21, 2022
Messages
338
Reaction score
485
Location
Tampa FL
I have too much time on my hands…
While awaiting my next build, Kibler’s Colonial rifled in 50 cal. I went back to my first build, a Traditions 50 cal Kentucky pistol. It turned out OK for a first build, but I thought it could be better. My original staining and finishing was not ideal, so I stripped off everything using steel wool and laquer thinner. It went quickly. Resanded to 400 grit, then maybe 10 coats of Beachwood Casey Walnut with 000 steel wool between every second or third coat. Then 6 coats of Tru Oil, and 000 steel wool between coats. Better!
I also worked on the thimbles that hold the ramrod. They are machined pieces with decorative inletting. The first time I built this thing I just polished them up and installed them. This time I took both thimbles and dipped them into a bottle of brass ager until they took on that black-gray look. Then carefully sanded them with 2000 grit wet or dry, staying out of the inletting. I think they look much better that way. Also the brass washers on the far side of the lock were machine cut to a taper, but the machine marks were clearly visible. I smoothed them out with 800 grit and a trip across a Cotten wheel. I think an improvement.
I found this gun murder to start a 049 ball with a 015 patch. I was using my ball starter as a mallet to get the ball flush with the crown. I used a Drimmil with a green stone to chamfer the crown about a week before I discovered there is a thing called a coneing tool. Story of my life, day late, dollar short. I also used that green stone on the hammer, opening up the fairly deep cup on it just a touch to encase a musket cap perfectly. All in all, I think I took an OK build and made it better. Also, because I just finished it, a stuck a pix of a 67 carrot Cambodian Zircon i just finished cutting. Off topic I know, but a can’t help myself.
 

Attachments

  • FAD0B0C9-A5E8-4062-8A92-2D651BC7B24E.jpeg
    FAD0B0C9-A5E8-4062-8A92-2D651BC7B24E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • ED6FAA39-ABF2-4578-80B5-AD72A8967771.jpeg
    ED6FAA39-ABF2-4578-80B5-AD72A8967771.jpeg
    845.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 64A75D4D-6EAF-4FE9-9502-FE855E8FE663.jpeg
    64A75D4D-6EAF-4FE9-9502-FE855E8FE663.jpeg
    852.7 KB · Views: 0
  • C460F531-8DFB-41B9-B02B-F514522FD60D.jpeg
    C460F531-8DFB-41B9-B02B-F514522FD60D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • A7CD0560-ABBF-4FA4-B8AC-43506E0BC15F.jpeg
    A7CD0560-ABBF-4FA4-B8AC-43506E0BC15F.jpeg
    882.6 KB · Views: 0
  • ED26DCEB-B6E3-4D80-9533-6E6F8474A98A.jpeg
    ED26DCEB-B6E3-4D80-9533-6E6F8474A98A.jpeg
    765.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 4F0F156B-DA63-4D5E-9B4C-5A24A4B8C001.jpeg
    4F0F156B-DA63-4D5E-9B4C-5A24A4B8C001.jpeg
    876 KB · Views: 0
  • C539F511-F83E-48A5-AAB0-DF68B6CB1AAD.jpeg
    C539F511-F83E-48A5-AAB0-DF68B6CB1AAD.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 348DD6A6-D0C9-40F5-833C-4DE6E6864D3E.jpeg
    348DD6A6-D0C9-40F5-833C-4DE6E6864D3E.jpeg
    942.2 KB · Views: 0
  • A7E2A691-2047-45AC-9F67-AB261047E1BD.jpeg
    A7E2A691-2047-45AC-9F67-AB261047E1BD.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0

MTGUNNER

36 Cl.
Joined
Apr 19, 2020
Messages
99
Reaction score
35
I have too much time on my hands…
While awaiting my next build, Kibler’s Colonial rifled in 50 cal. I went back to my first build, a Traditions 50 cal Kentucky pistol. It turned out OK for a first build, but I thought it could be better. My original staining and finishing was not ideal, so I stripped off everything using steel wool and laquer thinner. It went quickly. Resanded to 400 grit, then maybe 10 coats of Beachwood Casey Walnut with 000 steel wool between every second or third coat. Then 6 coats of Tru Oil, and 000 steel wool between coats. Better!
I also worked on the thimbles that hold the ramrod. They are machined pieces with decorative inletting. The first time I built this thing I just polished them up and installed them. This time I took both thimbles and dipped them into a bottle of brass ager until they took on that black-gray look. Then carefully sanded them with 2000 grit wet or dry, staying out of the inletting. I think they look much better that way. Also the brass washers on the far side of the lock were machine cut to a taper, but the machine marks were clearly visible. I smoothed them out with 800 grit and a trip across a Cotten wheel. I think an improvement.
I found this gun murder to start a 049 ball with a 015 patch. I was using my ball starter as a mallet to get the ball flush with the crown. I used a Drimmil with a green stone to chamfer the crown about a week before I discovered there is a thing called a coneing tool. Story of my life, day late, dollar short. I also used that green stone on the hammer, opening up the fairly deep cup on it just a touch to encase a musket cap perfectly. All in all, I think I took an OK build and made it better. Also, because I just finished it, a stuck a pix of a 67 carrot Cambodian Zircon i just finished cutting. Off topic I know, but a can’t help myself.
Beautiful stone, nice job!
 

hanshi

Cannon
Joined
May 7, 2009
Messages
13,299
Reaction score
7,162
Location
New England
That's a very nice looking pistol and stone. I found long ago that a much thinner patch is required for a pistol than for a rifle. Pistols can be difficult when it comes to seating the same load used in rifles. A ticking patch (.015") is about the only patch that allows seating prb without pulling a muscle. Anything thicker turns my vocabulary a little blue.
 
Top