• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Primitive gun cover

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ498

32 Cal
Reaction score
Does anyone sell a more primitive looking sheath for long arms. I can't find anything but the standard modern case.

I have seen buckskin cases with fringing and sometimes bead work. If you google "buckskin rifle scabbord" you will find some examples.

Here's one I made out of a Witney Point blanket a few weeks ago I thought it turned out nice.

Attachments

• IMGP0703.JPG
    IMGP0703.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 108
Pat Turney wrote that simple socks came with guns from the early eighteenth century. I’ve not seen documentation for that as worm-screws and molds are mention but not gun covers. Some think they didn’t exist till mid nineteenth century.
A wool cover is too easy to make, even if your an all thumbs like myself. Some say wool can hold moisture and rust your gun, I've not had that trouble. But a double sock with canvas and wool lining wouldn’t add an hour to your stitching time

October Country has these. Not as primitive as you might like, but they look good on a muzzloader

I got a canvas one from TOTW veyry good case and cheap.Al tho if you care a bout the finish of your gun I would not use it. Very abrasive. I slit the case up the seam and added a wool blanket liner,very easy job.

Does anyone sell a more primitive looking sheath for long arms. I can't find anything but the standard modern case.
I've been making my own for over 40 years out of bargain pigskin or other leather, pillow ticking/ cotton flannel layered, and old wool blankets from thrift shops. Just lay out your "material" and use your gun as the pattern. Minimal sewing skills required. I like to sew mine inside out; if using two layers, turn the inside to the outside and sew along the front and bottom edge. Make it a little long and add ties (shoestrings, tape, etc.) at the open end.

Pat Turney wrote that simple socks came with guns from the early eighteenth century. I’ve not seen documentation for that as worm-screws and molds are mention but not gun covers. Some think they didn’t exist till mid nineteenth century.
I've seen cloth covers, meaning wool, listed in 18th century French Canadian estate inventories quoted by Kevin Gladysz in his book The French Trade Gun in North America 1662-1759 So they were around.

I've made a couple from cheap surplus blankets. It's an easy first sewing project.

Look up Frontier Mercantile there's a very nice lady by the name of Rhonda that does some outstanding jobs he has some for sale on her side right now with and without leather Fringe

Back