• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Primitive Biathlon - Saratoga, NY

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steved

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently found a great way to escape cabin fever during this cold winter - the Primitive Biathlon. This event is a variation of the olympic-style "alpine biathlon", but instead of using cross-country skis and .22 target rifles, you use wood-framed snowshoes and black powder rifles. I checked it out for the first time at the 9th annual Smuggler's Notch PB (www.primitivebiathlon.com). There are two coming up in NY State - Feb 28 "Amos Parker Patriots PB" in Oriskany Falls, NY (www.chrgc.webhop.org) and March 13-14 "NY State Muzzleloaders PB" at the Saratoga Biathlon Club (www.saratogabiathlon.20M.com).

Typically the course is around 1.5 miles with 4-5 shooting stations thruout. BP sidelocks, patched round ball, and wood-framed showshoes are required to qualify for prizes, but some events allow modern snowshoes and in-lines so people can enjoy with what they've got. Needless to say, the people at the event I participated in were extremely friendly, despite the fact that it was 15 below F when I arrived at 9AM in Jeffersonville, VT. The Smugglers Notch PB featured 3 stations in the woods (2 shots each) and 1 at the finish area (3 shots). Some like myself treat it like and event (my time was 59 min, 3 of 9 hits). Others approach it like a true competition - the winner's score was 36 minutes thru the course, 8/9 hits. (Man, I've got some work to do!) Just another aspect of BP shooting to add to my growing addiction. I highly recommend this of event for others in the Northeast - a good excuse to get out of the house to burn some powder (and calories) in the dead of Winter.

I read about the PB in one of the publications and thought it would be great fun. Of course here in the south snow is unpredictable. Only thing we know for sure is that the monsoon will arrive with the first event come spring. Guess we could run barefoot through the half frozen quagmire and call it a primitive "mud run".

That's good news. I've seen write-ups on these events but I though they were all held 'out west' and on x-country skis. These are practically home turf! Guess I'll has ta find a pair of snowshoes - or more likely just go watch this time around.

Hey Stumpkiller,

No need to find a pair. The "Amos Parker" event mentions on their website that they should have extras on hand to lend to those without. I'm sure folks at the Saratoga event will lend you a pair - since BP shooters are generous by nature. Heck, you can borrow mine at the Saratoga event if you go on the Sunday (can't make the Amos Parker event - got a baby sitter that day/night and plan on some "indoor sports").

If you're looking to buy a pair, there are many used snowshoes on eBay. I bought new from Cabelas - the least expensive ones offered that I could find on the Net. They also offer good info on the different types/shapes of wood-framed shoes.

LOL. Pearsall's Rule: Never give something your first attempt when someone is keeping score, an entry fee was collected or in front of more that two people.

I've never worn snow shoes. I downhill and cross contry ski after a fashion, but if they are perhaps more closely related to ice skates you wouldn't want me holding a loaded gun while I got the hang of them.

Just a reminder that the Saratoga Primitive Biathlon is this weekend, March 13 & 14. Anybody out there on this forum plan to don a pair of snowshoes and burn some BP at this event this weekend? Stumpkiller? I'm drivin up from Joisey on Sunday morn - a great excuse to get out of the house.

The event is held at an offical alpine biathlon training site. Info available on www.saratogabiathlon.20m.com

Guess I'll has ta find a pair of snowshoes - or more likely just go watch this time around.

Just duct tape a couple of tennis rackets to your boots, instant show shoes... :winking: :haha: ::

That's the sign of a true craftsman, wrinkle-free duct tape...

Back