• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Priming with 3F

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm just curious I'm getting my first flintlock soon and only have 3f powder. So just in case I can't find 4f I need to use 3f what are people who are using 3f using for pan primers? Thanks I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thanks

I'm just curious I'm getting my first flintlock soon and only have 3f powder. So just in case I can't find 4f I need to use 3f what are people who are using 3f using for pan primers? Thanks I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thanks
3F powder will work fine for charging pan. Many actually use 3F for prime and main charge.

3F powder will work fine for charging pan. Many actually use 3F for prime and main charge.
Sorry I didn't make myself clear. Yes I was planning on using 3f for both the main charge and the pan but what I wanted to know is what are people using to prime the pan? From what I read the "pan primers" work with 4f but I don't see any where that they will work with 3f. Or are people just not using "pan primers" and pouring directly into the pan from the powder horn (which seems incredibly unsafe) or using something else to put 3f into the pan.
I hope that clears up what I'm asking.

Most of my pan primers won't pass 3fg. I have a couple of small horns that will pass 3fg, but why use one of those tiny horns when the main horn works the same as a priming horn. Historically, pan priming pans weren't used. I do use a main horn with a narrow tip to make filling a measure and priming the pan easier.

I did get this priming flask from Track of the Wolf. Flint priming flask, with free flow valve, brass - Track of the Wolf
It will allow 3fg to flow freely and is slightly easier than the main horn. Sometimes you simply think you need to have the gadget even though you really may not need it.

I use whatever powder I'm using for my main charge as my prime. I mostly prime from my horn, but, I did make a small antler "primer," with no valve just pours like a regular horn only through a much smaller hole, for better control. I plan to do some trials pouring a tiny bit of powder into my powder measure after loading and priming from that to see if it gives me more control than priming straight from the horn, without having to carry the extra primer. I do find that with larger grain powder as prime, less is more, too much of it really seems to slow things down.

I’ve got some pyrodex. I shoot it in a flint lock. So I throw a kicker of black down it first. I have one of the little two ounce flask, and that works well

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. Yes I was planning on using 3f for both the main charge and the pan but what I wanted to know is what are people using to prime the pan? From what I read the "pan primers" work with 4f but I don't see any where that they will work with 3f. Or are people just not using "pan primers" and pouring directly into the pan from the powder horn (which seems incredibly unsafe) or using something else to put 3f into the pan.
By the way, you were clear the 1st time...
Folks hear what they want to hear,,, in the case of forums substitute reading for hearing.

I did get this priming flask from Track of the Wolf. Flint priming flask, with free flow valve, brass - Track of the Wolf
It will allow 3fg to flow freely and is slightly easier than the main horn. Sometimes you simply think you need to have the gadget even though you really may not need it.
Yeah I saw that one and wondered if it would work, I also found one by Fort Chambers that is suppose to work but I may just try like every else seems to and just use my powder horn. Then if I have problems or want more control I'll look into one of these or the other.
Thanks everyone most helpful.

@oncewas, This is a photo of my pouch and horns. You can see the fine tip on the main horn and a portion of my priming horn. The priming horn is just about the same size as the main horn.

1630980982751.jpeg

My apologies. Figured your post had typos and chose to interpret rather than correct. Seem to be ‘wrong’ no matter which way I go. Back to your OP, it will depend. Have some chargers that work with 4F only, others with 3F and 4F. Have also turned some charger plungers on a lathe to increase or decrease amount of powder discharged. You will have to try with your charger to see how it works.

I've used both 3F and 4F powder to prime the pan and can't tell a difference in speed of ignition or reliability. I happen to use 4F because I was given several pounds of Goex 4F. (That's a LOT of priming.) And I use a small brass spring loaded charger to prime the pan as it gives me more control. If I still hunted I would prime from the horn to keep things simple.

Jeff

Interesting discussion. Now I'll have to do some experimenting to find out:

a) will my pan primer flow the 3F, and

B) will my guns work just as well with a 3F prime as they do with a 4F prime.

It would be kind of nice to only have to stock one powder. Not a huge deal though since one pound of 4F does a couple thousand primes.

Back