• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Priming The Pan

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here’s a question that I hope doesn’t get me tossed out on on backside.

Is anyone priming the pan with black powder but using Triple Seven loose powder for the load in the barrel?

Thanks
Fred

Your best bet would be a duplex load of real BP first, then your triple 7. Believe me, you aren't going to be happy with straight Triple 7. I would use a ratio of 1/3 BP, then 2/3 T7.

Just yesterday I was sighting in my rifle. I primed with 4F and picked the touch hole and pushed a little 4F in the touch hole. My load was 35 grains of 2F real GOEX black powder, then put in 35 grains of Pyrodex Select on top. The Pyrodex Select is 2F size. I had no ignition problems. That makes my real BP 2F last longer.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Run 5 to 10 grs of real black down the bore first. Then your substitute. Prime with real black.

I would just use black powder.
You could try 10-15 grains of black powder down the barrel ahead of your T7 charge.
that will work every time. seems to not have any hang fires doing that. and-T-7, is a 4 patch clean up for me with warm water, and a drop of liquid dish detergent in a coffee can. jmho.

Back