• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Priming question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
'evening,

I know that a good many of you promote priming with the same granulation as your main charge. I'm going to give that a try, but have a procedural question.

How do you do it? Do you prime directly from the horn, do you put a small amount in your main charge measure and dump from there, or do you have a smaller, secondary measure that you use?

Unlike loading directly from the flask, I wouldn't think that priming from the flask would be a safety issue, but part of me doesn't like the idea.

Just curious.

Thanks,
Calum

the only ones I use main charge powder is my muskets, primarily my 66' Charlville I use paper cartridges, so I tear open the cartridge, dump some in the pan and close the frizzen while on half cock, then dump the main charge down the barrel and shove the cartridge in and ram it home.
where the term "lock and load" came from. I use a priming horn or priming flask to charge my rifle pans. which, I suppose could contain the same granulation as your main charge, personally I use fffffg to prime, but thats a matter of personal choice. My horn is a bit large to try to prime from it, I would most likely spill more than I got in the pan. for me, its hard enough to not spill filling the measure, particularly when there is a stiff breeze out.

I usually prime using 4F from a little Ampco pan primer. It dispenses 3 grains and works well, but it doesn't hold much. When Empty I prime either from horn or flask.

Straight from the main horn into the pan. Just tap a little out of the horn. By the time you are ready to prime an ember would have already set off the main charge if it ever was going to.

Me too, most of the time. At the range I prime with 4f out of a priming flask with a plunger tip. In the field I use the same 3f that's in my main charge. For the 1st prime of the day or anytime I'm changing the prime to keep it fresh, I use a tiny pistol flask. For quick reloads I prime from my main horn.
One thing I have noticed however in regards to using 3f instead of 4f as prime, less is more. Too much 4f seems to delay ignition but not stop it. The very rare times I've flashed the pan were with too much 3f as prime.

In my .54 flint rifle shooting FFFg use small brass flasks when I prime that I refill from my main horn.

They look coincedentally like a 7.62 x 54R case with a copper wire silver-soldered across the base and forming a clip along the side of the case. I make a wood plug out of a dowel.

But that couldn't be as they came 150 years too late for that.

Or, you could just put a small amount in your powder measure and tip that in. On the VERY remote chance that priming from the horn encounters an ember.

Thanks all. I'll try straight from the horn. I'm not sure I'd be able to tell how much was going into my measure, not for the small amount needed for priming.

Adding a second "priming" measure just seemed overly cumbersome.

Currently I do use a brass primer for 4f, but trying to reduce the stuff to be dropped/lost in the woods.

Thanks,
Calum

I use a small priming flask with brass plunger thingy. For several reasons: One: I was originally taught that was the only 'right' way to do it. Became preferred habit even though I know it is not a fixed rule. It avoids spillage and I get the same amount each time. And, I have a lot of 4Fg on hand and prefer to use it up. And, I enjoy making small primer flasks from horn, antler, wood, whatever to sell, trade, give away, whatever. This is a do yer own thang game. Figure out what you like and stay with it.

Yep. That's how I learned Rifleman and now it's habit. When I use up enough 4F to think about buying more I may get Null B for range use. That'll make the remaining 4F last even longer.
TC

Back