• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Priming (or salt) Horns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those all look terrific, Dave... Every one of them. Are you going to put any of those up for sale?

I was also wondering about the diameter and pitch of the threaded end fitting. Is it the same as that on the commercial flask funnels, like this one?

Large Pedersoli Funnel.jpg

I believe these funnels, as well as flask spouts, are threaded 10-1mm, which may be interchangeable with 3/8-24.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

If anyone is concerned about the authenticity of horns like these, here are come examples from the collections at Valley Forge National Historical Park:

2021-08-24 (1).png

2021-08-24 (2).png

2021-08-24.png

For size reference, the little "checkerboard" ruler device in the pictures is marked in centimeters. Thirteen centimeters (the length of the "ruler") is about 5-1/4".

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I've made a bunch of fairly plain priming (or salt) horns out of cut off tips of horns that were not good for one reason or another.

Then I have made some fancier ones as well.......

I like them all......I just never seem to use them for priming.....not sure why.....?
Absolutely beautiful work! I put both salt and pepper mixed in my salt horn because I don't want to fool with multiple containers when primitive camping. And just to be totally period correct, I scratched "Sel et Poivre" on my horn since we reenact Michigan in 1750.

Thank you all for the kind comments. Notchy Bob, no none are for sale.....my two daughters can give all this stuff away when I "have assumed room temperature". And no, the thread I use on most of these little horns is 1/2"-20. To fill them, I took another horn tip and made this funnel.....I use it for filling my larger horns as well. I started off with this.....some years ago I needed a powder funnel rather quickly and made one up from the copper shaped charge war head liner of a 2.75 inch rocket (long, non muzzleloading story) and a cut off .308 cartridge. Works fine…not very HC…

Had one last tip of an all black horn kicking around on the bench for many years and could not decide what to do with it. I didn't need any more priming or salt horns so I made a powder funnel out of it. Also probably not HC but it least its not made out of a shaped charge liner. Fun to do anyway.

Those are absolutely beautiful ! Do you ever turn any of the horn tips on a small lathe ? And what type of wood you you use for the base plug ? :thumb::thumb::thumb::cool:

I've made a bunch of fairly plain priming (or salt) horns out of cut off tips of horns that were not good for one reason or another.

Then I have made some fancier ones as well.......

I like them all......I just never seem to use them for priming.....not sure why.....?
You are talented. Your work amazes me? I fix others mistakes but can't seem to make artistic things? I would be proud of the horns you have made!

Thank you all again for the kind words. Double Deuce, I do turn horn for other things (knife handles, tips for larger screw tip horns) but these little ones I just form by hand with scrapers and files. All of these small horns in the pictures I posted have the base plugs turned out of ebony. I do use ebony often in my larger full size horns for both base plugs and screw tips. I have posted some other silver mounted horns on this forum that are configured that way.

And Packrat.....yes.....I am holding off on that while "room temperature" thing for as long as I can. No sense rushing into anything...;)

I agree that they all are to nice to use. and translucent also, KILLER!! yes they are al too nice to be used. but they sure can if desired!. they are al works of art! and waste not want not!!!

Back