• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Primers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just went to a local Ma & Pa store. Great chap said the best thing is to change my nipple to a musket nipple and use musket caps. They seem to go bang alright
Ok, good to know you found someone wiser than most of us!! (((Little sarcasm there!))). Did they have the nipple and caps available?? Ma and Pa I mean!

I'm obviously not one of the wiser ones as I don't think switching to a musket cap is necessarily the optimal solution. I get my flint lock rifles. Of course, that doesn't apply to someone who only has percussion locked rifles. Sometimes the musket nipples and caps are larger than the recess in the hammer and setting off the musket cap isn't very reliable. Sometimes the hammer will have to be realigned to fully cover the musket nipple. Then too, the CCI standard musket caps haven't been very reliable except for use in blank rounds. Blank rounds don't have the pressure feedback to slow the flame front so they work with blanks. Look for Scheutzen or RWS Caps.

Sometimes the change to a musket nipple works.

I'm obviously not one of the wiser ones as I don't think switching to a musket cap is necessarily the optimal solution. I get my flint lock rifles. Of course, that doesn't apply to someone who only has percussion locked rifles. Sometimes the musket nipples and caps are larger than the recess in the hammer and setting off the musket cap isn't very reliable. Sometimes the hammer will have to be realigned to fully cover the musket nipple. Then too, the CCI standard musket caps haven't been very reliable except for use in blank rounds. Blank rounds don't have the pressure feedback to slow the flame front so they work with blanks. Look for Scheutzen or RWS Caps.

Sometimes the change to a musket nipple works.
Thanx

There is a lot of power in a primer. Having an unsecured primer in front of your face is a very bad idea. When I was a kid I fired a primer only in a 30-06 case secured in a vice with a hammer and a nail. The primer cup lodged against the bone in my thumb.

Get a quality flintlock to shoot until we can get primers again?

I have used small rifle primers on my 58 Remington pistol, with standard nipples. They work excellent. I went to Home Depot and bought clear flexible tubing, like aquarium tubing. I cut the tubing into 1/4 ” or so length, the primers are inserted on one end, the tubing slips over the nipple and holds it in place on the other end. It’s not my idea, I found it on the google. It does work very well with 100% ignition. I don’t see why it won’t work on a percussion rifle.

Accra shot and Mag Spark are two names of primer adapters.
Accra shot used small rifle primers.. The Mag Spark takes 209. they do work but are fiddly to deal with. I have one of each.. Only used the accra shot and the fouling that blows back into it makes getting the fired primer a bit difficult to remove.< haven't used it it years > A friend gifted me the Mag spark.. not sure why, but hey It was a gift and appreciated just the same. ( it might go on an underhammer, well just because )

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

J
Accra shot and Mag Spark are two names of primer adapters.
Accra shot used small rifle primers.. The Mag Spark takes 209. they do work but are fiddly to deal with. I have one of each.. Only used the accra shot and the fouling that blows back into it makes getting the fired primer a bit difficult to remove.< haven't used it it years > A friend gifted me the Mag spark.. not sure why, but hey It was a gift and appreciated just the same. ( it might go on an underhammer, well just because )

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan
Just so you know under hammers use a different thread than sidelocks , at least my H+A did .Warren Outdoors had the correct one as my TC Renegades/Hawkens were not the same . The nice thing with under hammers is no more burned wrist/forearms with a Magspark!!! /Ed

Ed,

that would be correct for a production underhammer!! Mine are One-offs from my shop, so I guess the thread pitch is whatever thread is required
fo the nipples I have on hand.. ;) :p

Please, don’t think what I am suggesting is unsafe or unreasonable.,Yes, primers can be more energetic than a percussion cap but not necessarily. RWS 1075 Plus caps is as energetic as any standard primer but nowhere near as a Fed209A shotgun primer. And yet 209 conversion are commercially sold for a lot of muzzle loaders. Hitting a primer using a nail and a hammer is definitely not safe but the method I recommended in my post is as safe as using any percussion cap. Matter of fact, the only time I have been hit on my face by metal particles from a ML was while using RWS 1081 musket caps, not small rifle primers.

I have used small rifle primers on my 58 Remington pistol, with standard nipples. They work excellent. I went to Home Depot and bought clear flexible tubing, like aquarium tubing. I cut the tubing into 1/4 ” or so length, the primers are inserted on one end, the tubing slips over the nipple and holds it in place on the other end. It’s not my idea, I found it on the google. It does work very well with 100% ignition. I don’t see why it won’t work on a percussion rifle.
Looks like this is a well kept secret, I have been doing for a while, hence I don’t panic when caps are no where to be found. I did had a bit of trouble with my 1858 not want to rotate but figured it out, my ROA’s will shoot Small Pistol Primer as reliably as caps.

since now i can buy a cap maker anyone know of taps in the old threads like 6/36 or what ever lock screws are,,bought a hammer screw and tumbler for an 1844,,,screw had threads but not the tumbler,,trying to fix it to hand down,,,,,and i think anyspark near that nipple might work,,sounds like a weekender

Back