• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Primer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blurdgman

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a older magbolt .50 cal and I’m having trouble finding the right primer. The 209 or the #11 won’t work. Any suggestions and I’ve heard that you can change parts out to update to a 209 primer what part are needed? Thanks picture show the primer that fits but no number

Attachments

• 2FA63720-7556-4BC8-A449-127B4B8E4FA9.jpeg
    2FA63720-7556-4BC8-A449-127B4B8E4FA9.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 86
1st off we don't really speak of non traditional MLs here. I did go to CVA on line. You can change the nipple in the breech plug to #11 or Musket or you can order from them a new Breech plug to fit 209 primers.

That's a 6 wing CCI musket cap, no longer in production thanks to the efforts of a lawyer. Those caps were the gold standard for live fire shooting but when a reenactor shooting blanks lost an eye from a cap fragment, he sued CCI and they quit making them. These days, all musket caps in common usage are the 4 wing type with RWS leading the pack in quality and Schutzen a very close second. Current production CCI are 4 wing and marked "reenactor caps" and are garbage for any serious type of accuracy or competition.

I agree with Dave951. I still have some of the good CCI 6 wings.

I would flip my estimation though, the Schutzen are a hotter cap than the RWS (although the now out of production RWS no wing caps were comparable to the Schutzen). No matter what caps you try, stay far away from the current CCI musket caps. You'll do nothing but throw them away.

Mike

I agree with Dave951. I still have some of the good CCI 6 wings.

I would flip my estimation though, the Schutzen are a hotter cap than the RWS (although the now out of production RWS no wing caps were comparable to the Schutzen). No matter what caps you try, stay far away from the current CCI musket caps. You'll do nothing but throw them away.

Mike

I do agree that Schutzen seem to be "hotter", but in my testing RWS have provided more consistent results. What I have noticed is that Schutzen sometimes don't quite conform to the shape of the nipple on different guns and I think that's the source of my results. If they worked the same on all my guns like the RWS do, I may change my opinion. But for the moment, I'm liking RWS better.

1st off we don't really speak of non traditional MLs here. I did go to CVA on line. You can change the nipple in the breech plug to #11 or Musket or you can order from them a new Breech plug to fit 209 primers.
Apologies didn’t know

Back