Quantcast

Primer

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Blurdgman

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a older magbolt .50 cal and I’m having trouble finding the right primer. The 209 or the #11 won’t work. Any suggestions and I’ve heard that you can change parts out to update to a 209 primer what part are needed? Thanks picture show the primer that fits but no number

Attachments

mooman76

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
That looks like a musket cap. Usually they only have 4 wings. Is the one showing one that does fit?

mooman76

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
1st off we don't really speak of non traditional MLs here. I did go to CVA on line. You can change the nipple in the breech plug to #11 or Musket or you can order from them a new Breech plug to fit 209 primers.

JB67

40 Cal
Reaction score
I see you just joined. Inlines are among the things not discussed on these forums. The complete list of rules is here: Forum rules.

Some find them draconian, others find they help maintain focus and a degree of harmony.

dave951

40 Cal
Reaction score
That's a 6 wing CCI musket cap, no longer in production thanks to the efforts of a lawyer. Those caps were the gold standard for live fire shooting but when a reenactor shooting blanks lost an eye from a cap fragment, he sued CCI and they quit making them. These days, all musket caps in common usage are the 4 wing type with RWS leading the pack in quality and Schutzen a very close second. Current production CCI are 4 wing and marked "reenactor caps" and are garbage for any serious type of accuracy or competition.

Calum

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I agree with Dave951. I still have some of the good CCI 6 wings.

I would flip my estimation though, the Schutzen are a hotter cap than the RWS (although the now out of production RWS no wing caps were comparable to the Schutzen). No matter what caps you try, stay far away from the current CCI musket caps. You'll do nothing but throw them away.

Mike

dave951

40 Cal
Reaction score
I agree with Dave951. I still have some of the good CCI 6 wings.

I would flip my estimation though, the Schutzen are a hotter cap than the RWS (although the now out of production RWS no wing caps were comparable to the Schutzen). No matter what caps you try, stay far away from the current CCI musket caps. You'll do nothing but throw them away.

Mike
I do agree that Schutzen seem to be "hotter", but in my testing RWS have provided more consistent results. What I have noticed is that Schutzen sometimes don't quite conform to the shape of the nipple on different guns and I think that's the source of my results. If they worked the same on all my guns like the RWS do, I may change my opinion. But for the moment, I'm liking RWS better.

Blurdgman

32 Cal
Reaction score
1st off we don't really speak of non traditional MLs here. I did go to CVA on line. You can change the nipple in the breech plug to #11 or Musket or you can order from them a new Breech plug to fit 209 primers.
Apologies didn’t know

Zonie

Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
As was said, this is a traditional muzzleloading forum.

For a forum that I recommend, go to our sister site called "Modern Muzzleloaders". Someone there is bound to know the answer to the original question.

Blurdgman

32 Cal
Reaction score
As was said, this is a traditional muzzleloading forum.

For a forum that I recommend, go to our sister site called "Modern Muzzleloaders". Someone there is bound to know the answer to the original question.

Thanks I didn’t realize it was traditional

Latest posts