• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Prime with 3 or 4F

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoJoLesh

40 Cal
Reaction score
The other day at the range I was getting a lot of flash in the pans. It was getting late in a long day at the range and I was tired.

I normally prime with 4F, but my priming measure was out, so I just uest the 3F that is my main charge.

I noticed more sure ignition.

Is this a thing or just a coincidence?

I didn't change anything else about my loading or cleaning procedure, so I don't think that was what caused the change.

Thoughts on priming with 3F vs 4F?

(It is a new Traditions Flintlock, with whatever touchhole size it comes with stock)

I always prime with 3F - no second "priming horn" or charger to carry & works fine for me. Some believe that the larger grain powders are less prone to absorbing moisture/fouling gunk from previous shots. Wiping the pan between shots will help too.

I use either intermittently and see no difference. Since I have 4F and no other use for it, I tend to use it to prime to save the 3F and 2F for load charges. When the 4F runs out I will just stick with 3F.
I am in that same boat. A pound of 4F will prime a lot of pans.

I always prime with 3F - no second "priming horn" or charger to carry & works fine for me. Some believe that the larger grain powders are less prone to absorbing moisture/fouling gunk from previous shots. Wiping the pan between shots will help too.
I can see larger grains being less absorbent, as they have less surface area.

I got a pound of 4F because that's what I read you use for priming. I've primed with 3F before and it worked fine, and this time it seemed to work better. There is either a reason, it was just a coincidence, or there was no statistical difference and it was just my perception.

IDK, I still have a pound of 4F, and a priming trickled. I am thinking that I will keep using 4F to prime, but if I have to reprime, I will go with the 3F.

Given dry conditions, I don’t know why you would experience better ignition with 3F vs 4F other then your 4F not being up to par. I have used both for priming and it’s generally difficult to experience the difference. In damp/wet hunting conditions I frequently use 3F, being more resistant to caking up from moisture. Otherwise, I use 4F. At 1500-2000 shots/pound, the couple of pounds I bought a couple of decades ago will probably be around long after I’m gone!

I only prime with 0B for gun’s that shoot 1f-2f. I find 3f fine for both charge and prime. I can tell the difference but it is slight enough not to matter. 2f in the pan I find significantly slower.

Last edited:
2F, 3F and 4F are coated. Swiss Null B and 7F are not.

Most line shooters will use Null B or 7F.

Seems hunters use either 3 or 4 F equally.

Up till now I've only shot 2fg powder in my .54 and 20 gauge. I use 4fg. Now that I have a .32 caliber I will try priming with 3fg.

I see it as a personal choice my friend.

I use 4f for priming. On the other end of the coin a good friend of ours Jethro uses 3f?

Haven’t seen any difference other than he uses one horn for both.

Lastly, I think it would be a personal preference? Both is more than adequate to achieve the desired result. Fast ignition I see no difference?

Respectfully, Cowboy

When I first started with flintlocks, I used FFFFg in the pan. After using up a pound of the powder (many, many shots), I decided to start using the same powder as the main powder charge. It is less to carry, especially while hunting. But even at the range, one type of powder for the barrel and the pan. That means FFFg for all of my muzzle loaders except for the .69 calibre smoothbore. That gets fed FFg in the barrel and in the pan. I get good ignition with both grades of powder.

I have found over time that while hunting, if your pan does not seal completely, the 4f may creep out of it. After a few hours of still hunting and carrying the gun in a lot of positions, the powder in the pan is not all there. A larger size will stay put.
I know. You have to tune and true up the fit of the pan and frizzen. But 4f can tell you in a hurry you aint there yet!

when I shoot 3F or 2F that is whet i prime with. I stopped using 4F a year ago, I see no difference in speed. but I do see the difference in moisture sucking to the 4F ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

when I shoot 3F or 2F that is whet i prime with. I stopped using 4F a year ago, I see no difference in speed. but I do see the difference in moisture sucking to the 4F ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Had a woods walk last October. We were in the middle of heavy down pour. Felt like the sky was dropping buckets of water on us continuously.

Was using 4f to prime. No miss fires after priming. Would load and prime after finishing a station. Proceeding to the next and so on and so on. Moisture definitely wasn’t a factor.

I will add though that I kept the lock facing the ground during movement and barrel towards the ground during navigation to the next station.

Respectfully, Cowboy

The only time I prime with 4F is with my Pedersoli LePage flintlock pistol. For all other guns the prime is whatever is in the big horn. I'm too lazy to mess with a second horn. 3F or 2F seems to work fine. The older I get and the worse my reaction time gets it really doesn't seem to make a difference.

4f here carry a small plunger type primer that throws just enough and not tow much into the pan , find it really does not take that much more time to prime with it.
That's what I have. I actually think it is easier to prime with that than with my range flask.... But that is probably because it is what I am used to.

The only reason I stopped yesterday is because I didn't want to refill my primer thrower thing.... Does that have a name?

Anyway, both the 4F and the 3F were igniting in the pan, but I was having better luck getting the 3F to ignite the main charge.

I often prime with 2FF as they would have done in days gone by.. It works well and have no ignition issue with it. You will need to ensure that you have adequate spark and and a good touch hole.

Latest posts

Back