• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Prickly Pear Jelly

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Owl

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I have never made any. I don't want to necessarily can any, just make a few jars and keep in the Refrigerator until used. Have any of you made any? When do you harvest the pears? Can you use unflavored gelatin to make the jelly? On the sieve? What is that? Cheese cloth? Something else?

I missed my chance to make some this year, but made a couple of batches when I lived in southern New Mexico. Good stuff that I miss. I used gloved hands and kitchen tongs to pick the fruits and then burned off the tiny needles by roasting lightly on the Weber -- but a propane torch is probably faster.

Well I'm going to cut down the recipe and make about 3-4 half pint jars and just keep in the refrigerator, not actually can them. I've never made any jelly.

Welding gloves seemed to work the best for picking them. I used regular gloves and the little "hairs" went right through. A torch and tongs to burn off the stickers when at home.

Taste wise it turned out really good. Didn't set up like a jelly ever, more of a syrup.

Made two small batches this fall. I can't stand to drive by prickly pears loaded with ripe tunas and just watch them fall off and rot -- and the dang things are inescapable here in the Rolling Plains of Texas. 😄

Latest posts

Back