• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Prices on used guns are insanely high.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prices go up and down, depending on the area of the world. New generations coming into the gun world influence the popularity of the sport. The newbie buys high in order to get in and later realize the inflated expense of introduction of a fairly inexpensive sport. It is easy for this old timer to say everything is too expensive, but I not on in the market, or overwhelmed with the excitement of trying something new to me.
I encourage anyone to research the possibilities of acquiring the parts and build a weapon for black powder. Doesn't have to be perfect, that is the fun involved, making it as perfect as possible with advice and research.
Research other avenues of craftsmanship for building parts, forging ,wood working. Make the sport as interesting as firing on the line. Patience, not haste, makes a good enjoyable sport. A person will finish a scratch built or kit and I bet will be most interested in starting another, along with the fixins to go with them.

It's not a true comparison of prices when you use 1960, 1970, or even 1980 prices as a base. You have to factor in inflation. The example I gave of the Seneca bought in April for $350 is actually much lower in price than it's 1970's cost of $135, which with the inflation factor is well over $500 today. In 1967 a well paying job was $6000/year & Pick-up trucks were about $2000. Most of the guns we play with don't even keep up with inflation, so hanging on to them to "cash in" in the future is fantasy.
Yup, I recall my first’ high dollar’ lock, an LandR, $68, a barrel was a green River barrel for $60…. Been a few years.
My Centermark was was $350 in ‘94

I've been to two gun shows, one in April & one last weekend. First shows I have been to since the pandemic & I was vaccinated. There were some great buys at both & some outrageously priced stuff, like ammo. Most of the guns were priced higher than I would like to pay, but after all, the asking price is a starting point & most dealers will consider reasonable offers. My buddy walked out of the April show with a new in the box, never been fired or even had the barrel put in the stock TC Seneca 45 cal with all factory papers & even the receipt with the 1970's price of $135 + sales tax. He paid $350 for it. The show last weekend had a TC Hawken 50 cal that was super clean with cleaning kit & flask new in an unopened box & 100 round balls & caps for the asking price of $350. Oh, and he even threw in a rifle case. Deals are still out there & it's not the gloom & doom some perceive. Just my two cents!
for the sales occurring in 1990 they were good deals. on every forum when the sky high prices of guns and ammo comes up there is always a guy that pops up and says he got a deal like it was 2001 lol

One can all ways go to a rendezvous /civil war events, you can get a good deal and the if you ask you may even get a discount for cash. Just be nice and you will get a lot of help.

$232.00 back in 92 that was with powder, balls, Measure, Caps, ect. Still have it and would never part with it. Its going to my Nephew after im mulch......

Attachments

• IMG_20210629_091018.jpg
    IMG_20210629_091018.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 64
Gun shows and auctions are the worst places to buy guns, unless its a rare piece and you have the disposable cash on hand. Most of the vendors at shows are out to get as much as they can for a gun and usually don't budge on their prices some of them are down right rude about it too, especially if you call them on something and they realize you are right.

I had a guy just recently do this to me. It was an unmentionable rifle that I pointed out to this man had a nonmatching serial number on the bolt of this particular wwii rifle. I made him an offer that I knew to be reasonable as I know the value of these guns in varying conditions. He right away balked and looked at me like I had two heads. No problem. I put the gun down, walked away with my money still in my pocket. Point being, gun shows are the worst places to buy guns.
Its a dang shame. Gun shows " use to be " thee place to go for great deals & to haggle & lots of individual one on one sales was the ticket. Right down to walkin in with your gun slung over your back with a for sale sign on it.... and the sale could happen in the parking lot before you even make it inside. Not any more. Buying bulk ammo at gun shows was the best thing to do.... Not any more. I could easily get deep into the " why's & how's " of it all, but whats the point.

That’s my wife, then she claims she saved X amount of dollars. I tell she would have saved more if she wouldn’t have bought in the 1st place.
I won't have any of that BS with my wife. The way I adamantly insist on things being structured is - I have my money & my own bank acct as long as my share of the household bills & expenses are all paid, what else I do with my money - whether its guns, fishing stuff or Harley parts or random trips off doing either is none of her business & she has zero say about any of it. Same with her, she works, she has her own bank acct. as long as she meets her end of our household expenses I couldn't care less if she buys 10 new pairs of shoes or spends way too much to get her hair or nails done. Its none of my business. If they don't like that or think anything about that is unfair or unreasonable, I make no bones about she has too go & a new ole lady that will be ok with that will be replacing her. Simple. So I never have any of that & wouldn't have it any other way. Like many guys that go to work & hand their wives their paycheck & don't have a clue about anything after that & she dictates what they can or can't do or worse yet, what they will or won't do with their money..... No way in manmade hell...ever..

Gun show deals can still be had but few and far between. I picked up 2 cans of powder ff & fff a not quite full for $20 last weekend. Not a great deal but still good today. A year ago I go some cheap moulds and a Lee 10# used pot for $20. A few guys just want a fair price.
Good score. Its good to read a post like yours.

Was over at Gun Works searching for parts for my Frankenflinter and a couple walk in and drop near $800 on a new GPR and accessories and didn't bat an eye. I dropped like 500 on stuff as did many in line. These would have been unheard of numbers just a decade ago. Seems like inflation and availability fears are driving everything. Show prices are just as high if not higher. Not sure what is ahead.

We've only got ourselves to blame for this. For whomever voted in the current crop of idiots. Our current t administration is part of, if not the reason our economy is in the shape it is. Its definity the reason our borders are nonexistant these days. Combine that with all the pandemic related trickle down disasters and you've got a perfect storm of failure brewing.

Everything is in high demand. Suppliers can't keep up. Prices going through the roof on guns, ammo, cars, RVs, everything, is in short supply. Everything costs a fortune anymore. I don't see this calming down anytime soon.

We've only got ourselves to blame for this. For whomever voted in the current crop of idiots. Our current t administration is part of, if not the reason our economy is in the shape it is. Its definity the reason our borders are nonexistant these days. Combine that with all the pandemic related trickle down disasters and you've got a perfect storm of failure brewing.

Everything is in high demand. Suppliers of everything can't keep up. Prices going through the roof on guns, ammo, cars, RVs, everything, is in short duty and everything costs a fortune anymore. I don't see this calming down anytime soon.
We did vote but got the results got changed.

Back