• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Price of Percussion Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Malarky!!! The average price of #11 caps has tripled to quadrupled in two years.

Some few vendors, like Wal Mart, manage to sell the things for around $5.00/100. The rest charge up to $20/100 or even more.

So long as muzzleloader shooters/hunters are willing to pay outrageous prices for caps the price will remain outrageous.

Back in early September an acquaintance asked me where he could find #11 caps. Told him i just come from Wal Mart and the store had caps at $5.32/100. The guy never went to Wal Mart. Last week he came back expecting me to give him some caps: Sent him packing.
Some food items are up 50% in the last couple of years. Gas has more than doubled. Lumber was as much as quadrupled but has dropped off to double. The trucking industry has lost a good number of employees so needs to pay more. Businesses need to pay more so those employees can buy food, gas, pay rent or buy a house. All that increases retail pricing. Add in the fact that caps are a low volume item for CCI, Remington, Winchester or who ever actually makes them for Rem./Win. Why would a company make a low volume item unless they coule make $$$. Overseas made caps? Shipping has been a mess for more than 2 years. At one point container costs were up over 10 times pre covid.

However I'm sure that all that means nothing. It is just those scalpers and profiteers price gouging.

Some food items are up 50% in the last couple of years. Gas has more than doubled. Lumber was as much as quadrupled but has dropped off to double. The trucking industry has lost a good number of employees so needs to pay more. Businesses need to pay more so those employees can buy food, gas, pay rent or buy a house. All that increases retail pricing. Add in the fact that caps are a low volume item for CCI, Remington, Winchester or who ever actually makes them for Rem./Win. Why would a company make a low volume item unless they coule make $$$. Overseas made caps? Shipping has been a mess for more than 2 years. At one point container costs were up over 10 times pre covid.

However I'm sure that all that means nothing. It is just those scalpers and profiteers price gouging.
You are entirely correct. Stores like Walmart deal in quantity. They can afford to take a loss on a low volume product like percussion caps. When all of America's companies moved to China, you're at the mercy of one supplier. This is what happens when you put all your eggs in ONE BASKET! Most of us knew China would bite us in the a$$ and that day has come!

Last edited:
You are entirely correct. Stores like Walmart deal in quantity. They can afford to take a loss on a low volume product like percussion caps. When all of America's companies moved to China, you're at the mercy of one supplier. This is what happens when you put all your eggs in ONE BASKET! Most of us knew China would bite us in the a$$ and that day has come!
China is the tar baby of the modern world.

When I first started this I think I paid $.60 for caps and $1.60 for DuPont powder, but like Bozomiller said, I was making $1.75 an hour. However, today’s prices are so high that they are not even close to the same proportion.

Back when I was making .75 cents an hour, 100 standard caps were 25 cents, 100 musket caps were 50 cents and DuPont powder was 75 cents a pound. A 25-pound bag of #6 shot was $1.25. Shotgun shells in this era -- mid '50s -- were about $3 a box for 20 gauge, and I had a Winchester M24 choked IC and M. But I also had a 14-gauge Lacey of London Hudson's Bay trade gun converted from flint to musket caps. Unless I was with adults, I used the Lacey, which for a whole season cost me less than a single box of 20 ga. shells. My hunting buddies thought it was funny, watching me load: .45/70 case of DuPont FFg; chew some newspaper for over-powder wadding; same case full of #6, chew some more newspaper for the over-shot wadding, cap the nipple, set the hammer on half-cock and off we'd go, always two of us, sometimes three or four. But the Davy Crockett/Dan'l Boone jokes ended once they saw how good the Lacey was on squirrels, rabbits and quail.

Wal Mart is not taking a loss on percussion caps. Neither is anyone else. As for transportation: All the US made #11 caps manufactured in the past year would fit nicely in one or two 52 foot trailers.

This year the local Academy store has raised the price of #11 caps from $4.99/100 to $5.99/100 and then to $10.99/100. In September the local Academy store raised the price of Winchester 209 muzzleloader primers from $10.99 /100 to $19.99/100.

The present situation with #11 caps is caused primarily by scalping and panic about godawful politicians gonna outlaw muzzleloaders. This has happened twice before.

My local gun shop had 4 tins of Remington #11 marked at $24.99 which I thought was highway robbery. Stopped in the store last week they had sold.
Yep, but if you have "none" and need them, what choice do you have? Someone has them and you do not.

Wal Mart is not taking a loss on percussion caps. Neither is anyone else. As for transportation: All the US made #11 caps manufactured in the past year would fit nicely in one or two 52 foot trailers.

This year the local Academy store has raised the price of #11 caps from $4.99/100 to $5.99/100 and then to $10.99/100. In September the local Academy store raised the price of Winchester 209 muzzleloader primers from $10.99 /100 to $19.99/100.

The present situation with #11 caps is caused primarily by scalping and panic about godawful politicians gonna outlaw muzzleloaders. This has happened twice before.
Anything and I mean everything that has to do with transportation is going to skyrocket! Gasoline, Diesel, Propane, Engine Oil, auto/truck parts shortage, all of these have skyrocketed!! Demand for higher wages due to inflation causing significant price increases! You can't run a business to lose money and these folks are going to cover the higher costs to them....it's just that simple....yes there is some scalping, but the real problem and it's going to get worse is INFLATION!!

If we want to fight inflation we need to start with diesel prices. Everything has to move with diesel and the over-the-road folks pay sky high prices. They have to pass it on.
If we want to fight inflation we need to drill like we were before! Biden cut permits from 36000 to 9000, and most of those were either low producing leases or non-producing. Yet he sends China oil from our National Reserves. You want to stop inflation get rid of corruption in D.C.!!! Yeah, that'll happen!

Last week I paid $200 (2.2 lbs) of powder. It's almost impossible to get here in Western Australia. I lucked into this Kilo and It was pay the man, or don't shoot. Have you ever wanted to punch someone?
I feel the urge to punch someone regularly… but it’s been years since I succumbed to my baser instincts, it’s what separates us from the animals… besides, a punch from a 76 year old guy just doesn’t have the same impact unless it was applied to the mugs of the people who got us into this mess and frankly there are just too many of them. It’s hard to know where to begin.
Anything and I mean everything that has to do with transportation is going to skyrocket! Gasoline, Diesel, Propane, Engine Oil, auto/truck parts shortage, all of these have skyrocketed!! Demand for higher wages due to inflation causing significant price increases! You can't run a business to lose money and these folks are going to cover the higher costs to them....it's just that simple....yes there is some scalping, but the real problem and it's going to get worse is INFLATION!!
Moody‘s says inflation has the Average American family paying $400.00 per month more year over year for essentials, gas ,groceries and housing… it would be naive to think that luxury items (yes Virginia, these are toys and a luxury to most of the world.) would somehow escape rampant inflation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back