• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Price check help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NIB out of production American made T/C Hawken with nice wood $550.00 sounds more than fair in today's market. Like others have stated here prices are on the rise plus finding a used muzzleloader in even like new condition can sometimes be tough. Buying on line can be a manure shoot, I know from personal experience. If you want to start fresh and not potentially buy someone else's problem I'd jump non it. IMHO

I am looking at a brand new, in the box T/C Hawken, .50cal. Percussion. Beautiful piece of wood, great brass. Gun shop find. How much is it worth? Owner wants 550. but that sound high to me. Any ideas?

Well it being NIB, (new in box) never fired, Yes I could see it going for $450-$550. BUT..., that is overpriced (imho - hbc)...,

Reason being, that the Lyman Trade Rifle is also a "plains rifle" and in caplock form is available for $442.18. It's also brand new, BUT unlike the TC Hawken you saw, parts are still made for the Lyman, and it's still under warranty. WHY pay $100 more for a rifle that parts are no longer made, and no warranty, when you can have all of it for $442.18? Offer the guy $450 in cash, and if he balks, then walk away and buy the Lyman instead. Yes the shipping will add to the cost, but simply think of the parts and the warranty...

Lyman .54 Trade Rifle

LD

…and for the same reason people still buy 1970’s Chevelles when they can buy a Toyota Corolla with 5 year warranty and plenty of parts available!!! Just sayin…
WOW there is a huge difference in the above analogy than between the TC product and the Lyman, especially when talking caplocks. I understand why folks would want American made... in some cases..., not sure in the OP's case that it would justify an extra $100. It's not like I was suggesting he buy something made in Spain.

LD

WOW there is a huge difference in the above analogy than between the TC product and the Lyman, especially when talking caplocks. I understand why folks would want American made... in some cases..., not sure in the OP's case that it would justify an extra $100. It's not like I was suggesting he buy something made in Spain.

LD
Dave, You probably 100% correct!!! May be, i was thinking more on the lines of nostalgia, Americanism and the investment overall. In ten years a $100 won’t be much and I was trying to avoid him the proverbial “should’ve, would’ve, could’ve” story that we read of so much on this forum. After all, he can get an Italian replica anytime he wants weather it says Lyman, Pedersoli or what have you on it! No so much the Hawken, just a thought, to each his own!

I am looking at a brand new, in the box T/C Hawken, .50cal. Percussion. Beautiful piece of wood, great brass. Gun shop find. How much is it worth? Owner wants 550. but that sound high to me. Any ideas?
If you want it, get it.
For me? Sounds high and I'd not give over 200 for a mass produced percussion... but, that's me. I have several TC and CVS which I use for training people how to shoot... all under the 200 mark and some were new. All were in near new condition when I purchased them.

That being said, I only have one and it is a 54, which I would let go for much more than the 550 price, but that is becuse it has a replacement greener barrel on it, and a peep site that is worth that much on it's own.... Kinda like the people in Delaware state selling a Hooptie of a car for 30K or more, when the kelly bb shows only 1k... The buyer is buying the license plate, not the actual car...it's a thing there.

Again, if you want it, buy it. They are good starter rifles and service many people well.

Back