• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pretty much finished my Tennessee classic 45. a new gem is born!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
bought this stock and barrel from a member. it has been fun. now on to the next one!

Attachments

• 20220114_081139 (1).jpg
    20220114_081139 (1).jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 233
  • 20220114_081905.jpg
    20220114_081905.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 243
  • 20220314_212630.jpg
    20220314_212630.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 256
  • 20220314_212640.jpg
    20220314_212640.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 266
  • 20220314_212649.jpg
    20220314_212649.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 260
  • 20220314_212714.jpg
    20220314_212714.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 233
  • 20220314_212723.jpg
    20220314_212723.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 224
  • 20220314_212723_1.jpg
    20220314_212723_1.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 213
That is a nice looking rifle. The lock appears small compared to the stock. Is it a small lock or is it common for this style of gun?
yes. it was a lock i had lying about so i used it but i see many TCR's with a small lock. what is correct? someone more knowledgeable than me will say i am sure.

I knew someone would make a nice rifle from that started project. You did a nice job! By the way, do you sleep??? 😁
in fits and starts! like the saying goes, "you can sleep when you are dead!'
multiple sclerosis keeps me uncomfortable unless i am doing something to distract me from pain. may as well do something constructive! can't chase women anymore!🥴
thanks to all for the compliments but feel free to critique also. i am just learning. Old Dogs can learn new tricks!

It is a good effort.

Since you asked, your lock panels are too big. That makes a humpbacked wrist that looks too short. Takes away some of the elegance of the style. By undercutting the tang at the lug, you can get the bend closer to the breech and eliminate some of the hump. Also the abrupt cutoff at the entry pipe interrupts the flow from the fore-arm to the fore-end.

This is an example of that style from the web.

1647378836096.png

bought this stock and barrel from a member. it has been fun. now on to the next one!
Is that a Howard terpning print in the background? It looks like it. I have one of his called "the ploy". The only critique of the rifle is that it is not on my couch at home. lol Very nice looking.

Is that a Howard terpning print in the background? It looks like it. I have one of his called "the ploy". The only critique of the rifle is that it is not on my couch at home. lol Very nice looking.
ah, not a print. an oil on canvas. Hope Springs Eternal, The Ghost Dance. the crown jewel of my collection.
thanks for the kind words on the Tennessee. as soon as i get sights on her am going to make smoke!

who is the artist
have never been able to determine. Signed G Frank. it is a very close copy of Terpning's original. size its 36" tall by 54" wide. never have been able to get accurate size of Terpnings original. found it in a antique shop in Richmond Virginia of all places. cost as much or more to ship as it did to purchase.

Attachments

• HT00191lg.jpg
    HT00191lg.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 33
have never been able to determine. Signed G Frank. it is a very close copy of Terpning's original. size its 36" tall by 54" wide. never have been able to get accurate size of Terpnings original. found it in a antique shop in Richmond Virginia of all places. cost as much or more to ship as it did to purchase.
It's definitely in a terpning style. I really like it. What a fortunate find. Thanks man.

I really like those Southern Rifle styles, and a 45 cal Flinter with be my next build here.

I'm pretty well restricted to a Lefty Pecatonica River kit now probably in Cherry wood for a change rather than more Curly Maple.
The Chambers Isaac Hayes FL .50cal kit I'm currently working on will be my last "Brassy" furnished Rifle I'll ever build, I'm more into the simple Southern Iron furniture nowadays.

I did get a kick out of hand fitting a Bone Nose cap years ago to a .36 Cal Tenn Mountain Rifle Flinter (having Dawgs chewing on Beef Boll bones around here is damn handy for such parts ) and I pinned it in place with a hand filed Bone pin; after I'd aged it with hot tea bags. I was very pleased with the difference it made from conventionally furnished ML's so intend to do it again.

I really like those Southern Rifle styles, and a 45 cal Flinter with be my next build here.

I'm pretty well restricted to a Lefty Pecatonica River kit now probably in Cherry wood for a change rather than more Curly Maple.
The Chambers Isaac Hayes FL .50cal kit I'm currently working on will be my last "Brassy" furnished Rifle I'll ever build, I'm more into the simple Southern Iron furniture nowadays.

I did get a kick out of hand fitting a Bone Nose cap years ago to a .36 Cal Tenn Mountain Rifle Flinter (having Dawgs chewing on Beef Boll bones around here is damn handy for such parts ) and I pinned it in place with a hand filed Bone pin; after I'd aged it with hot tea bags. I was very pleased with the difference it made from conventionally furnished ML's so intend to do it again.
any pictures of that bone cap? i have moose, elk, bones and antlers galore. just need inspiration and time.

Back