• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pretty good wood for ‘semi-fancy’ from Jim Kibler!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve often heard he had good sources of wood, but WOW, I have stripes for the full length and on both sides! The only place where there aren’t as many stripes is on the patch box, but maybe that will come out once nitrated and stained. Look at the stripes in the tiger-striped wood!

I'll periodically update (in the builder’s Forum) w/ build pictures.

FYI, I will be making this Kibler muzzleloader kit, a 54-cal Colonial flintlock longrifle, for my best friend who had lost wife last July to ALS, 3-months from diagnosis to passing. So I gotta git to it …

Now it’ll never remove the pain he’ll always carry by any means … but I want him to have it before the anniversary of her passing. At least this should give him something to look forward to, for next Fall.

67787491-B172-437C-B4AC-12F4E09B00A9.jpeg

45265806-A112-48FD-8785-912349613A3C.jpeg

Last edited:
That is a beautiful piece of wood. I'd be having second thoughts myself, about sending that one off - perhaps get another to give him.

That must have been a helluva shock losing her that quickly. Then again, he did have three months - if she'd died in a car wreck, he wouldn't even have had the three months. Hope your gift brings him up out of it.

The wood in that rifle stock is outstanding! That is a very kind and generous thing to do for your friend.

My first real awareness of ALS was when I was in my twenties. I worked with and was more or less apprenticed to a builder who was considerably older. The two of us took on all sorts of construction jobs. He could do it all, but he began to decline and was eventually diagnosed with ALS. He was a good man. I went back to school, and ended up working with neurologically impaired adults. I saw some with ALS. With these progressive diseases, rehab has to focus on compensation for loss of abilities rather than restitution of function. This is a very difficult disease for family members to accept and cope with. I hope the recipient of this gift finds solace in the support of his friends.

Blessings on you, @Flint62Smoothie !

Notchy Bob

I’ve often heard he had good sources of wood, but WOW, I have stripes for the full length and on both sides! The only place where there aren’t as many stripes is on the patch box, but maybe that will come out once nitrated and stained. Look at the stripes in the tiger-striped wood!

FYI, I will be making this Kibler muzzleloader kit, a 54-cal Colonial flintlock longrifle, for my best friend who had lost wife last July to ALS, 3-months from diagnosis to passing. So I gotta git to it …

Now it’ll never remove the pain he’ll always carry by any means … but I want him to have it before the anniversary of her passing. At least this should give him something to look forward to, for next Fall.

View attachment 140628

View attachment 140630
Wood like that is what I think makes the most beautiful rifles. Don't know why it gets graded lower but thats OK by me, Just means I don't have to pay as much for what I consider the best. What you are doing for you friend is really nice. The rifle I finished lasr year I donated to a group I am a member of to help them raise money for their Christmas for Kids fund. It really felt good to see the pictures of the families we made Christmas for.

View attachment 140628

View attachment 140630
Beautiful wood, Kibler is good for that!

what a generous thing to do. every time that i'm convinces that the world is exclusively populated by scoundrels, someone does something like this and restores my faith.

Latest posts

Back