• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pretty Dang Happy Today!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Took the Zouave out today to test it with the new peep sight installed I previously posted about and better than expected results!
The pic is of my first three shots at 50 yards kneeling - with no sight adjustments other than just estimated when I installed it!
The load was .570 RB, 60 grains 3F BP, .015 patches and canola/vegetable oil blend as lube - and I wish I had tried canola/vegetable oil as patch lube previously! It stays liquid in the cool weather (45 today) and does something to keep fouling down. I shot three shots, swabbed with 50/50 windex and Murphy's Oil Soap - then shot another seven rounds with essentially no difference in the 'feel' of the load resistance. It was snug, but smooth.

The patches all fell away about 30' from the muzzle in a nice, small group and upon inspection they showed no signs of blow by burn and were all in one piece as they should be. Also the barrel has considerably less fouling than I have ever experienced.

The rest of my shots were all consistent and tight as well.

Attachments

• IMG_2427[1].JPG
    IMG_2427[1].JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Took the Zouave out today to test it with the new peep sight installed I previously posted about and better than expected results!
The pic is of my first three shots at 50 yards kneeling - with no sight adjustments other than just estimated when I installed it!
The load was .570 RB, 60 grains 3F BP, .015 patches and canola/vegetable oil blend as lube - and I wish I had tried canola/vegetable oil as patch lube previously! It stays liquid in the cool weather (45 today) and does something to keep fouling down. I shot three shots, swabbed with 50/50 windex and Murphy's Oil Soap - then shot another seven rounds with essentially no difference in the 'feel' of the load resistance. It was snug, but smooth.

The patches all fell away about 30' from the muzzle in a nice, small group and upon inspection they showed no signs of blow by burn and were all in one piece as they should be. Also the barrel has considerably less fouling than I have ever experienced.

nice grp and the patch lube sounds like something i was to try.👍

Yea I had read on the forum about some using olive oil but knowing that olive oil will congeal in cold weather I tried the canola/veg oil - mostly because I had just bought a new bottle of it for the deep frier and it worked better than anything I have ever used for patch lube! - And really shoots clean!

I wish I had done this 40 + years ago!

Need to take that Zouave out coyote hunting this winter. Of course your E Ore dogs are worth something, and that .570 RB might be a little rough on them.

Holy Chit!

Of course your E Ore dogs are worth something,
Are they ?

I know at ONE time they were but as people got PC'd out of 'natural' furs the value dropped and the few that continued to hunt 'yotes just left them as 'bait'.

So if they are again worth anything please let me know - I might have to get back into hunting them again for beer and beef jerky money!

Is the mix 50/50 of the 2 oils.
No - the 50/50 mix is my standard bore swab of half Windex and half Murphy's Oil Soap.

The OIL I used as patch lube was nothing more than 'blended cooking oil' I bought for my deep fryer - which is just canola and vegetable oil I used out of the bottle for patch lube - and it is excellent for this!

I saw the 50/50 mix of youre bore swab. I get that. Ive also seen canola oil in a bottle and vegetable oil in a bottle. I asked that because it looked like to me from youre post you were mixing the 2.

You did well today cuz!
Hey thanks!

I'll Be doing it again soon and setting up my bench and rest to see how tight I can really get it - but I am not exclusively a 'benchrest' shooter - just enough to get it sighted in and back to 'offhand' shooting!

I might be heading out onto the desert soon for some jackrabbit chasing - one of my FAVORITE shooting sports!

Hey thanks!

I'll Be doing it again soon and setting up my bench and rest to see how tight I can really get it - but I am not exclusively a 'benchrest' shooter - just enough to get it sighted in and back to 'offhand' shooting!

I might be heading out onto the desert soon for some jackrabbit chasing - one of my FAVORITE shooting sports!

I hear ya, sight in with bench rest, then always try to use shooting sticks in field when feasable. Big fan of shooting sticks, just not as steady as I used to be.
The jackrabbit shoot sounds fun, if we had them, would be nothing left of a cottontail and would be a waste of good meat!

The jackrabbit shoot sounds fun,
'jacks have had a long history on the Eastern Oregon Desert forever - as early homesteader food and as a sport when their numbers got high.

They are cyclical and not too many years ago we had serious outbreak of them and a lot of people got into the action and got out and shot them.

At certain times I have shot up to 20 or more in a day.

Are they ?

I know at ONE time they were but as people got PC'd out of 'natural' furs the value dropped and the few that continued to hunt 'yotes just left them as 'bait'.

So if they are again worth anything please let me know - I might have to get back into hunting them again for beer and beef jerky money!
Check the OTA Prineville sale. Some of those pale dogs are bringing crazy prices.

Back