• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Prettiest Cap and Ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every hand is different; I love my R&S but find the "feel" awkward, it's just kinda clunky; Copy that on the 1860 and 1861!
Also, the R&S hammer is set so high, you are almost required to use two hands to cock it. Unless one has large, strong hands, that hammer is way up there and requires me to cock with the side of my "off hand", unlike an SAA. Still love it's historical look, though, esp. with the after-market whiz-bang cylinder.

The remington new models... BUT the 1860 Army Fluted or not.. those are, I think, the flexing of aesthetics over function following form.

Attachments

• IMG_2881.JPG
    IMG_2881.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2882.JPG
    IMG_2882.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2877.JPG
    IMG_2877.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 85
All the colt replicas look good to me. If I had to pick one, it would be the 1860 army.

The 1862 police, the 1861 navy, and the 1851 London navy all come in a close second.

The remington new models... BUT the 1860 Army Fluted or not.. those are, I think, the flexing of aesthetics over function following form.

I like the fluting on the cylinder of the top gun and prefer the looks of the shorter ribbing on the ramrod lever with those top two. What is the top gun model in the pic with the 4 and can you get those with the notch between caps on the cylinder?

For me it’s the ‘51 navy. It looks more ‘natural’. Walkers and dagoons do the job but lack grace. The 60 with the ratchet and stream lining just doesn’t have the grace of ol’ plain Jane. Rodman’s anology is on point. ‘52 is Maryann, ‘60 Ginger and the big horse pistols the bodybuilder.

I saw an Uberti like that, where you bench load the cylinder. I am leaning toward the more traditional revolvers now. Check this out, I saw on Taylor and Company.
1618596138131.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Just work your way through season one and two of bonanza. About the 3rd time you see Joe cartwright drop to his knees in an instant to get his chest out of the way of some outlaws shot, simultaneously drawing his colt navy,, and slapping the hammer and dropping the guys partner you'll realize just how pretty those 7.5" barreled '51 navies really are. And then about the first time you sit on your couch and point from the hip at the light switch, you'll realize how beautifully they were designed to be shot with only a mere point of your wrist.
A natural point. Some have it. Many do not.

The 'prettiest' would be the 1860 Colt but it has the open top you seem not to like. The most accessible/affordable with your solid frame requirement would be the 1858 Remington. The 'best' solid frame would be the Ruger Old Army but be prepared to pay if you want one of those.
Especially if it is stainless steel. Had one a while ago and sold it. Still kicking myself in the ass for selling it.

I like the fluting on the cylinder of the top gun and prefer the looks of the shorter ribbing on the ramrod lever with those top two. What is the top gun model in the pic with the 4 and can you get those with the notch between caps on the cylinder?
That's the 1860 Army Fluted cylinder. .44 Cal

I’ve always thought the 1860 Army looked better with a fluted cylinder. And the 1851 Navy looks great with a square back trigger guard. My two favorites as far as the Colt replicas go.

I’ve always thought the 1860 Army looked better with a fluted cylinder. And the 1851 Navy looks great with a square back trigger guard. My two favorites as far as the Colt replicas go.
I really agree. Like I said the G&Gs are my favorite 1851s, (and the 1851 platform is my favorite belt gun) I was never a 1860 Army fan until I started to rebuild my collection and bought an old Navy Arms 1860 Army. Then I bought a Uberti 1860 Army, and now wanna get a ASM 1860, and a McCollough 1860 reproduction. The 1860 does point better, and has trim lines.

Is the "Cattleman" the cap & ball revolver that looks like a Colt Model P? If that is "the look" that you prefer, by all means get one and shoot it! These are not very traditional, but the same could be said for a lot of the mass-produced long arms that we discuss here.

It is my understanding that the cylinder must be removed from that type of revolver for loading, as there is no loading lever, and you'll probably want a loading press of some sort. There are one or two active threads on this forum discussing loading presses.

However, if you want opinions on the best looking percussion revolver, mine is that the Colt London Navy would be hard to beat. The 1860 Army Colt would also be a strong contender, but I really like the look of the Navy's octagonal barrel.

This reminds me of the old "Gilligan's Island" question... Maryanne, or Ginger?

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Mary Ann

I acquired a large collection of NIB Ubertis . All were very early production and reportedly hand select by the importer for finish and wood. The only two i kept were the 1860 and the 1862 (?) Police. I think they are both the best looking, but the police, IMHO is the better of the two and a lifetime keeper.

Both you and @Zonie are partial to the police. Can you put your finger on exactly what it is you find appealing about this pistols.
The 1860 has a timeless style and grace. Its ergonomics probably could not be improved on. The 1862 is a miniature 1860 that fits even the smallest of hands and the fluted cyl is the frosting on the cake. The 1862 was designed to be concealable and given current insanity may serve than purpose again.

Back