• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Prettiest Cap and Ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prettiest Cap and Ball

R48beefe0c5edcfce38b7fe01babd69d2

241e5b2e1c97055e7adae42249a417e0.jpg

Looks good to me.......... :D

Pietta actually makes an 1873 Single Action Army clone revolver that has a percussion cylinder instead of a bored through cartridge cylinder. Looks exactly like the 1873 peacemaker but in percussion. Not my cup of tea but for those who would find the old cap and ball guns ugly, there ya go. My fave since we are voting is the 1860 Army and 1861 Navy revolvers. Best looking cap and ball Colts in my opinion.

There are Second Generation Colt 1851 and 1860 models in stainless. I think there are only 490 stainless 1851 Navy models, the 1860 Army might have a few more.

I just watched the Manny CA video with him firing the Ruger Old Army. Seems like about 1 of 3 or 4 shots misfires. Is that normal for blackpowder percussion revolvers. He took it in stride, but I would find that extremely frustrating.

I just watched the Manny CA video with him firing the Ruger Old Army. Seems like about 1 of 3 or 4 shots misfires. Is that normal for blackpowder percussion revolvers. He took it in stride, but I would find that extremely frustrating.
Don't know, it might be normal for him or the Ruger Old Army but I've never had any problems with my Ubertis and Piettas.

No it’s not normal. He either has a dirty gun, wrong caps or something else that is not the guns fault.

TO ALL

Just a reminder: The Colt P and 1873 Colt are cartridge guns. We don't talk about cartridge guns on the muzzleloading forum.

As for the pistol I think is most beautiful I agree with the others who say the Colt 1862 Police gets the prize.

The original Police came with a 3 1/2", 4 1/2", 5 1/2" and 6 1/2" barrel.
The only things about if for the OP to consider is it was designed to be a small, easy to carry pocket pistol so it shares the same frame and grip size as the Colt 1848 Dragoon and 1849 Pocket pistol. That grip is very, very small, making it difficult to shoot for most people.
It is also a .36 caliber gun so it doesn't really meet the "large caliber" desire he says he's after.

Even though I love and prefer the awesome Brass Framed 1851 Navy Griswold & Gunnison, I have to take my hat off and respect the slim and sleek lines of the McCollough Colt 1860 Army.

Even though I love and prefer the awesome Brass Framed 1851 Navy Griswold & Gunnison, I have to take my hat off and respect the slim and sleek lines of the McCollough Colt 1860 Army.
I watched another video where a guy had the old army and another more accurate replica side by side comparing them. I’m starting to see the beauty in the older guns. I think they look more elegant than modern weapons.

Just work your way through season one and two of bonanza. About the 3rd time you see Joe cartwright drop to his knees in an instant to get his chest out of the way of some outlaws shot, simultaneously drawing his colt navy,, and slapping the hammer and dropping the guys partner you'll realize just how pretty those 7.5" barreled '51 navies really are. And then about the first time you sit on your couch and point from the hip at the light switch, you'll realize how beautifully they were designed to be shot with only a mere point of your wrist.

Just work your way through season one and two of bonanza. About the 3rd time you see Joe cartwright drop to his knees in an instant to get his chest out of the way of some outlaws shot, simultaneously drawing his colt navy,, and slapping the hammer and dropping the guys partner you'll realize just how pretty those 7.5" barreled '51 navies really are. And then about the first time you sit on your couch and point from the hip at the light switch, you'll realize how beautifully they were designed to be shot with only a mere point of your wrist.
Who knows if the word, ergonomic, had been coined back then? However, there is no question that Samuel Colt understood the concept!

Notchy Bob

In my book the prettiest of the Colt 1860 Armies is the Belgian Centaure RNMA 4th variation with 8" barrel, 3-screw frame, fluted cylinder and notches in the recoil shiels.

Attachments

• 1-P1030844.JPG
    1-P1030844.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 1-P1030848.JPG
    1-P1030848.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 79

Latest posts

Back