• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Presentation pistol case

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I acquired a nice wooden presentation case that is the exact length and width as the case I have for my 1851 Colt Navy. The problem is that it is about 1/4" thinner & will not close on any of the .36 (navy) caliber pistols that I have been able to try. The lid hits both the cylinder & grips & stays open by 1/8" or a bit more. An army would be worse due to the bigger cylinder & the compartmentation is oversized for a "pocket" navy or police model. The case looks to be commercially made, not homemade. Any Ideas as to what pistol/s the case was made to fit?

Some pistol with a smaller diameter cylinder. How about a 5 shot pocket pistol, a 31 caliber pistol or a 5 shot 31 caliber Patterson. Did your source for the case indicate what pistol the case was meant to hold?

The case came in a box of black powder gear at an auction so no info from previous owner or maker's tag. It is identical in size & partition layout to the DGW case that I bought for my 1851 Navy many years ago, EXCEPT that it is about 1/4" shallower. A pocket navy (5 chamber cylinder) will fit & allow the lid to close but the pocket pistol is clearly lost in an oversized space & would rattle around a lot. It seems to be made for a full size revolver barrel & frame but with a smaller (5 chamber) cylinder & thinner grips. I am not aware of any such pistol - hence the post.

How thick is the back or is it the bottom of the case? The opposite of the lid. Can the imprint where the cylinder goes be enlarged or deepened with a Dremal maybe?

Sounds like you may have nailed it! Now if I only had a Patterson to put in it.
How thick is the back or is it the bottom of the case? The opposite of the lid. Can the imprint where the cylinder goes be enlarged or deepened with a Dremal maybe?

It would need to be deeper for both the cylinder & grips. Hard to attempt without messing up the fabric lining. I may try to sell it to a paterson owner & buy a case from Bills Cases for my 1861. Bill makes great cases if you are not familiar with his work - should be on the Forum's vendor list.

I think you may have nailed it with the Paterson. I forgot about them. Too bad I don't have one!
OK; now practice this in front of the mirror a few times......."Honey, I didn't want this beautiful display box to go to waste and I got a really good deal on the new revovler."
Good luck.
Let us know how it works out for you.

OK; now practice this in front of the mirror a few times......."Honey, I didn't want this beautiful display box to go to waste and I got a really good deal on the new revovler."
Good luck.
Let us know how it works out for you.

ROTFLMAO ! !

To soften the blow, when buying a new firearm also buy some female bling, and tell her the purchase was a package deal.... ;)

Back