• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Premade shot cups/cartridges, how to.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"If someone can figure out how to make these hold together just a little longer after leaving the muzzle, and drop away, without slugging, I'd love to hear how. "

Try using a dilute paste of starch and water. Apply it evenly to the paper before you roll it. Let the tube dry and it should hold together. Flour was a common buffer before the modern plastic shot buffer, so it should be safe for your barrel.
Interesting idea. Might have to try it. I only get the slugging when I seal the side seam, and then not always. I figured the shot, having more mass than the paper, and least drag, would just outpace the paper cup and leave it behind. No such luck. I have had some success with the lubed cartridge similar to Blackhand's.
I'm really hoping a heavily lubed cushion wad on top of the existing cartridge, ala the SkyChief Special, gets me where I'm looking to be. Seems it would be the easiest next step to the quest.

https://www.rotometals.com/
These guys are pretty good. I ordered the #5 copper clad shot recently.
I have a gunshop near me that sells partial boxes of shotshells that people bring in, old estate stuff, or stuff that comes in with used guns, real cheap, find similar "sale items" and cut them open for the shot. I've done this with oddball "HeviShot" ammo I've found on sale to try loading that shot in my Smoothbore.

I have a gunshop near me that sells partial boxes of shotshells that people bring in, old estate stuff, or stuff that comes in with used guns, real cheap, find similar "sale items" and cut them open for the shot. I've done this with oddball "HeviShot" ammo I've found on sale to try loading that shot in my Smoothbore.

I still have some bags of shot from CF reloadin;, mostly 7 1/2, but one bag of 5's. I miss working at the local Police Department...people brought in old ammo to be destroyed all the time. I have a gym bag stuffed with reloaded 12 and 20 ga shells that are badly water damaged...of course no one else at the pd wanted them. I saw several boxes marked #4 and #5 and I snatched up the bag. I haven't cut into them other to confirm it is 4s and 5s.

have some cartouches made up in #4, #7, & 00......going to try them with diff. thickness cards and lubed sisal fibers on my next range trip (next dry day we have in monsoon stricken N.E.Alabama) to try to solve the doughnutting problem i'm having with #4 & 00 in my .62/20 Trade Gun.

it's surprisingly accurate w/.595 balls & cut patch...and #7 / cotton balls.......but the 2 in between have been sucking.

have some cartouches made up in #4, #7, & 00......going to try them with diff. thickness cards and lubed sisal fibers on my next range trip (next dry day we have in monsoon stricken N.E.Alabama) to try to solve the doughnutting problem i'm having with #4 & 00 in my .62/20 Trade Gun.

it's surprisingly accurate w/.595 balls & cut patch...and #7 / cotton balls.......but the 2 in between have been sucking.
Redstick,
What kind of .62 are you shooting?

The only cards I'm using are the thin ones sold as "overshot" cards. Check out the threads on the SkyChief Special loading procedure.

When I hunt with my 20 gauge smoothbore I use home made "speed loaders" instead of trying to fumble with shot bags, fiber wads and whatnot. Since I'm a cheapskate I wanted to use something that wouldn't cost me much if anything when making the speed loaders. I wanted to be able to use the container as the wadding as well. I came up with using pages from old phone books, rolled similarly to the ones in the OP's photos. I merely start at one corner, roll up the paper on a dowel (I think its half inch or5/8). I use a kids glue stick to seal the ends. I then pinch off the middle of the tube, fold it over and glue the middle shut. This then makes a two chamber affair that I then put powder in one end, and shot in the other. I simply fold over the ends and glue them shut then fold the thing in half and glue it together. When afield I just tear open the end with the powder, dump it down the pipe, tear off the paper that held the powder crumple it up and shove it down the bore over the powder. It tamps flat easily since its thin paper. A couple crumples over the powder. then tear and pour shot. Then one piece crumpled over the shot and I'm good to go. These loads do not donut on the patterning board and work well. Best of all they cost nearly nothing to make.

Are you using a wad? If yes, dump the wad and replace with 3-4 thin cards. The doughnut happens when your wad blows the pattern, at least that is what others have posted.

You could also try a variant of the Skychief load with a lubricated wad over the shot. Some of us have seen an improvement in the pattern.

thanks y'all.......i'm going to try all these as soon as monsoon season in N.E.Alabama breaks ( estimated 4 more days) .

making more shot cups tonight......

just a quick hit here before cleaning and making LOTS more cups.......
the #4 cups with a cotton ball over the powder and a wad of oiled sisal fiber over the cup WORKED ABSOLUTE WONDERS for the doughnutting issue !!

and

#00 with a cotton ball O/P and wad of oiled sisal over 7-8 pellets solved the issue of erratic buckshot patterns.

thanks guys.......now to churn out some cartouches after cleaning the gun !!

just a quick hit here before cleaning and making LOTS more cups.......
the #4 cups with a cotton ball over the powder and a wad of oiled sisal fiber over the cup WORKED ABSOLUTE WONDERS for the doughnutting issue !!

and

#00 with a cotton ball O/P and wad of oiled sisal over 7-8 pellets solved the issue of erratic buckshot patterns.

thanks guys.......now to churn out some cartouches after cleaning the gun !!
Redstick,
Great!!
BTW, what did you use on the sisal? Olive oil?
Good to hear the 00 buck tightened up also, I was wondering if the dougnutting had something to do with the way the balls stacked in the bore and/or cartridge.
If you have any, I agree with Carbon 6, send pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back