• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Preferred Cleaning Patches?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many years ago, I found that my feet had worn a hole through one of the nice king size flannel bed sheets we used, so we bought a new one and I started cutting up the old one for patches. I like the flannel because it absorbs well and it seals in the bore when I am doing the pump method of washing the bore, I probably have a lifetime supply of flannel patches.

I tried searching this, but considering there are many post daily discussing patches for loading not much came up.

I've used various "bulk" patches whether purchased local or online with mixed results some great some worthless. Curious what you guys are using I know some use old t shirt or buy cotton/flannel? by the yard and cut it up which I'm considering just gotta find the right material. But in the meantime I'd like resupply with some precuts

I use 100% cotton diaper flannel. Cut it on paper cutter. Quick work for lots of patches

I tried searching this, but considering there are many post daily discussing patches for loading not much came up.

I've used various "bulk" patches whether purchased local or online with mixed results some great some worthless. Curious what you guys are using I know some use old t shirt or buy cotton/flannel? by the yard and cut it up which I'm considering just gotta find the right material. But in the meantime I'd like resupply with some precuts

I use paper towels for cleaning and drying my bore. They suck up water like nothing else made. They are very cheap and you can see how clean your bore is on their white color. I fold a piece of towel til it is tight in the bore when inserted, I have almost never lost any off the jag, Now I do know that Hugh Glass would scoff at my folly ....................... until he tried it.

Have tried various shooting patches and have found “Bridges Best” dry patches to my liking. They have a high thread count (tight weave). It comes in different sizes and thickness for my different guns. From .005 to.020
I also enjoy their cleaning patches. Again different sizes for my different guns. The reason for the dry patches is most of our Rhondys out here are on very large private ranches, so grease patches which can cause fires may not be used. Many of us use water soluble oil.
Doc,

I buy baby blanket flannel from Wal-Mart. Wash without detergent and cut into aprox. 2" squares with a large pair of antique tailors scissors. I have tried the GI patches but found they are absorbent. Do not like.

The reason for the dry patches is most of our Rhondys out here are on very large private ranches, so grease patches which can cause fires may not be used. Many of us use water soluble oil.
Doc,
Doc,

I don't want to divert the conversation too far from the original topic, but I'm always happy to learn something new and useful. Is there a specific type or brand of water-soluble oil that you boys prefer for patch lubricant?

Thanks!

Notchy Bob

Doc,

I don't want to divert the conversation too far from the original topic, but I'm always happy to learn something new and useful. Is there a specific type or brand of water-soluble oil that you boys prefer for patch lubricant?

Thanks!

Notchy Bob
Notchy, There are different brands of water soluble oil, but basically they are all the same. They are used in machine shops to provide a slippery and cooling surface for the cutting tools. Also to provide rust protection for all the gears etc. in the machines. WSO comes in different colors and labels such as Moose Milk, 7 Rivers, etc. Many are sold by the Rhondy traders. It’s easy enough to walk into most any machine shop and ask for a gallon of the diluted stuff perhaps a max of $5. Used on patches will last a lifetime. NOT to be used as a storage oil.
Doc,

I am in the worn out T shirt camp also. I have never run short on supply in the 15 years I have been shooting muzzleloaders.

I was using old Army undershirts I had, worked great, but I stumbled across this on amazon, $20, 100% cotton, premarked to cut then easy and there is 10k worth of 'em in the box, will last me quite a while, and work just fine.

IMG_4392.jpg

I buy osnaburg cotton fabric at JoAnn, wash, mark, cut into 1.5 and 2.5 inch squares. Plenty absorbent, rough-ish weave has scrubbing action.

My smoothbore likes flannel baby blankets. The rifles use heavy canvas (.023") and I cut ALL the patches I fire.

I like 2 1/2” square GI cleaning patches. I buy 1,000 at a time from Eastern Maine Shooting Supplies. Currently $36.39.

Those are probably about the same as the 2 1/4" Pro Shot ones I buy from Amazon. Currently priced at $12.81/500.

I'm cheap but at that price I can't see making my own, and they work great.

Back