• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Preferred Barrel Length

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is your preferred barrel length on a rifle and why? I only have a 42 inch straight at the moment but am in the process of having a TVM 38 inch with a swamped barrel built. -Larry

I have to say that this is another of those questions that have more than one answer. The preferred barrel length for a rifle depends on caliber, purpose and architecture. Then it becomes a case of how does the finished rifle fit of the rifle match up to your build. Your 38" swamped barrel should be nice and handy, but you don't mention caliber or style. But there will be little difference in the handling of a 42" swamped barrel matched to caliber and rifle architecture. The extra 4" of barrel will hardly be noticed. The 44 to 46" octagon to round smoothbore barrels matched to gauge to get a light weight barrel can be a delight to handle and have all the performance anyone would want especially on a stock designed for a fowling gun.

I have to say that this is another of those questions that have more than one answer. The preferred barrel length for a rifle depends on caliber, purpose and architecture. Then it becomes a case of how does the finished rifle fit of the rifle match up to your build. Your 38" swamped barrel should be nice and handy, but you don't mention caliber or style. But there will be little difference in the handling of a 42" swamped barrel matched to caliber and rifle architecture. The extra 4" of barrel will hardly be noticed. The 44 to 46" octagon to round smoothbore barrels matched to gauge to get a light weight barrel can be a delight to handle and have all the performance anyone would want especially on a stock designed for a fowling gun.
You bring up some very good points. It is going to be a 50 caliber early Lancaster. The reason I am asking is because I am not sure if I want to have it changed to a 42 inch swamped? I have time to do this but want to make this my final change as to not drive TVM nuts lol. They have been very patient and helpful. I thought I would like the lines of a 38 inch rifle, but upon looking at my 42 inch today, there is something about the lines that I just love. I imagine this would be further increased by having a swamped barrel in that size. I have never even held a gun with a swamped barrel. If there is little difference in handling then I may be leaning toward the 42 in.

I’m 5’10”, medium build. While most of my flintlocks have longer 42” barrels, my favorite for deer hunting is my 38”, swamped 50cal Hubbard early Colonial styled rifle. Balance for off-hand shooting, 7# weight, and loading/ muzzle height all feel perfect. Also, this barrel length nicely compliments the trim styling and dimensions of the rifle.

You bring up some very good points. It is going to be a 50 caliber early Lancaster. The reason I am asking is because I am not sure if I want to have it changed to a 42 inch swamped? I have time to do this but want to make this my final change as to not drive TVM nuts lol. They have been very patient and helpful. I thought I would like the lines of a 38 inch rifle, but upon looking at my 42 inch today, there is something about the lines that I just love. I imagine this would be further increased by having a swamped barrel in that size. I have never even held a gun with a swamped barrel. If there is little difference in handling then I may be leaning toward the 42 in.

If this rifle is for hunting, I would think something such as a Rice Barrel company ( Barrel Chart ) 38" "Transition" series in a B weight 50 caliber would be great for light weight, reasonable accuracy and good balance. You would want a stiffer rifle for target shooting to cut down on vibration. Then it would be a Lancaster and Dickert 44" barrel for sight radius and in C weight to get it to be a bit stiffer and weight and balance would still be reasonable.

I really like the looks of the long barreled rifles but sometimes it is difficult to transport them. I would prefer the shorter barreled rifles for hunting though. Most of mine have 33" barrels but I have 2 longer(39") ones and several shorter(24&26") ones.

It also depends on the profile. A C weight .50 will be heavier than a B weight .50. For hunting I would go with a 38" C weight .54 or a B weight .50. The 38" is handy in the woods, but you have to have the right weight for carrying.
I have five 38" rifles. My favorite for carrying is my 38" C weight .54 poor boy by Nate Stephenson. It is lighter than the rest. You don't really notice it until you use one of the others for a while then go back to it.
Even handier is my 31" .60cal. English style by Jerry Scales. More pics of this one on my blog. www.bricestultzhisblog.blogspot.com at March 2019

scales rifle 003.JPG

Last edited:
42 inch today, there is something about the lines that I just love.
You just answered your own question!! I too am in love with the longer barrel. You are young, go for the long one while you can hold it. When you are 75 years old like me, get the shorty. The swamped barrel really helps your balance point, especially on a longer barrel.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇸

in a 13/16 barrel and 45 cal i like a 42 inch barrel. in a larger bore i like a 36. however ive had them as short a 26 inches and it also shot as good as the longer barrels. the 26 inch one was a 45 that used a 400 grain bullet started by a starter. it would keep one hole ragged at 100 yards from a rest. 100 grains of powder was the charge. if it was a cartridge gun it would have been a 45/100. its shooting pigs in florida at this moment.

I like the longer barrels but had to sell my nice .50 X 42". All mine are now 38" except for the .45 which is 36". And the .45 has always been my favorite. A 38" barrel comes up to my chin and that's okay with me.

If you can change your rifle order from a straight barrel to a swamped one, by all means do so! Straight barrels suck, basically. Heavy, weight forward monstrosities. And they simply are not right at all for essentially any pre-1800 rifle.

I like the looks of long. Hunting or trekking in ozark forest that’s mostly second and third growth forest with lots of underbrush I’ve never had a problem with 42” and never owned a longer. I’ve had 36 and 32 inch and even an 18 1/2 but never found them handier.
most American long rifles were long until the nineteenth century, but there were exceptions. Hines made 38” guns.
I’ve never inlet a swamped barrel. Hats off to them who has. They sure is pretty.
I’ve only had three or four long guns at a time and have two half round and one 7/8 straight right now. And it’s time correct as straight barrel s were being imported at the time.

for years the long length of barrels on most rifles turned me off. I have always preferred shorter barrels. my first build was a jaeger, mostly because of the short barrel. then I got a 42in. southern mountain rifle straight 3/4 cross the flats, it balance good. then I got a 38in swamped 54 southern rifle. just the other day I got another jaeger. all an all I like shorter barrels. they are more handy and great to carry and hunt with. but I do like the look of a long slender rifle just don't like to carry it. oh decisions decisions,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

It also depends on the profile. A C weight .50 will be heavier than a B weight .50. For hunting I would go with a 38" C weight .54 or a B weight .50. The 38" is handy in the woods, but you have to have the right weight for carrying.
I have five 38" rifles. My favorite for carrying is my 38" C weight .54 poor boy by Nate Stephenson. It is lighter than the rest. You don't really notice it until you use one of the others for a while then go back to it.
Even handier is my 31" .60cal. English style by Jerry Scales. More pics of this one on my blog. www.bricestultzhisblog.blogspot.com at March 2019

View attachment 35924
Just remember the older u get the heavier they get. I now shoot a 50 cal Jeager that I built with a 31 inch barrel.

I love the kibler rifles. but I think the southern mountain rifle comes with a 46in. barrel only! that stopped me from buying one of his wonderful kits. If I want to go hunting with it, it won't fit in my truck! I wish Jim would offer a 38in. I here is kits are fantastic!

Latest posts

Back