• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Predator Hunting with Lyman and lead free round ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Stella

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been working up a "traditional" load that I can use in California's lead free areas (soon to be the entire state). I have been working with the ITX .54 cal. round balls. At 50 yards they shoot about the same point of impact as regular lead PRB. I have been shooting them with my Lyman GPH. Once I had a load worked up I decided to do some predator calling with the load. I had an area picked out that was about 4 miles from any road, and looked like it might be a good bobcat area.

Today I loaded up the horse and GPR, and after about a 45 minute ride I was at my location. I tied Gabe up and moved about a 100 yards from him. I set up in an area that had about a 50 yard field of view, so that if I called something in it would be in range when I saw it. After about 30 minutes of calling in I spotted a bobcat sneaking toward me. When it got about 30 yards away I touched of my shot. He went about 20 yards before going down for good.

The other interesting thing for me was this was the longest I had ever left my rifle loaded. I loaded it November 24th and shot it January 25. Two months. It went off no problem.

It was not a real big bobcat, but the first one I have shot with a BP rifle.
www.flickr.com/photos/90803536@N08/23990915493
www.flickr.com/photos/90803536@N08/24535466581
www.flickr.com/photos/90803536@N08/23990883633

Last edited by a moderator:
So glad you didn't hit him with lead----- that would have been so unhealthy for him. :v

Really good to hear first-hand reports on the lead free rather than speculation, chest beating and key pounding.

Keep them coming! :thumbsup:

Gabe must be a stoic individual. I never owned a horse that would act nice. Mine all spent their waking hours thinking about ways to disable me .. that is, if they were capable of thinking. :hmm:

Good story. Thanks for sharing.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with the size of that bobcat. Bigger than any I've ever seen in person!

I was wondering why you had your rifle loaded so long. Was it just cuz you never saw anything to shoot?

Hey, as long as that power and cap stay dry, there's never any reason why it shouldn't fire, I think.

Arrowstorm. I went out calling on the 24th and called in a fox but did not get a shot. I did not know when I was going to get another chance to go hunting so just left it loaded. Did not get to go out again until yesterday. I have never left it loaded more than a week. When I was elk hunting I would shoot clean and reload after that. I guess I was just worried about the unknown or untried.

That is too funny. It does seem at times they work at getting you or themselves hurt. He is a good boy. Have had him for about 9 years. He was not real convinced at first that putting a cat on his back was the right way to go, but after I let him get used to it for a few minutes he was fine.

Nice view,horse,cat...Thanks for sharing :v
If I had a horse I'd be packing A Don Sith Hawken..To round out my outfit.
I tip my hat for you finding a lead free way!
Brass would work also.
It's to humid here(Wisconsin) to leave a rifle loaded that long( I'm paranoid) ...glad it worked out.
My only concern with the ITX or other non lead roundball would be dry balling- ball extraction.

Nice work on the kitty!

Last I read about lead sub RBs, member Roundball was shooting marbles

Had a look at the ITX website.

Those balls don't seem to be perfectly round, is there a trick to loading them consistently? What sort of patch/lube combo?

How do things group compared to quality lead RB?

Also wondering on larger game if they act like a lead RB and flatten out nicely?

Price wise looks as expensive as CF rifle cartridges.

They are not round like a round ball. They have a belt or band around them. I seat them with the band running around the muzzle of the rifle so that the entire band ingauges the rifling at the same time ( if that makes sense). I am using Cabelas pre lubed patches at the moment. At 50 yards they actually group better than I am getting with PRB. They are expensive about a buck a ball but they group with PRB at 50 yards so I am practicing with PRB now but hunting with the ITX. I do not think they will flatten out like lead. That is going to be the next step is to shoot them into something and compare them to lead. I am thinking phone books. I want to know if they flatten at all. Will post when I do the test.

I am very limited by my choices for what I use. It can't just be lead free it has to be approved by fish and game and be on their web site. The ITX is.

Latest posts

Back