• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pre-wash flannel for cleaning patches?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'd like to make some cleaning patches for my .32 cal; came across a post that recommended Wal-Mart "Super Flannel" which I'd like to try. Is flannel material supposed to be washed to remove sizing as well before being cut/torn to size? (I pre-wash my ticking for shooting patch strips). Also, what size should I cut those cleaning patches? (I found a previous post that stated to cut patches to 7/8", but I think that was shooting patches, not cleaning patches.) Lastly, is there a formula that I can extrapolate the proper size for other calibers?

Why buy new? I use old T-shirts cut into strips. 7/8 would be about right for 32. I cut mine different sizes because I have allot of different calibers so eventually they all fit. If you buy new I would wash the sizing out but probably not a big deal if you don't just for cleaning.

I would probably twice in really hot water. It will tighten the weave up. I use ticking and it is a lot tighter weave than any flannel I have ever seen. I should add that I have never owned a rifle smaller than 36.

Good Luck! Geo. T.

For cleaning patches I did not wash my Wally Super flannel.
I cut them with a rotary cutter to 1 1/2" squares and use them for 40-62 caliber.
They work great! :wink:

Hubertus said:
I'd like to make some cleaning patches for my .32 cal; came across a post that recommended Wal-Mart "Super Flannel" which I'd like to try. Is flannel material supposed to be washed to remove sizing as well before being cut/torn to size? (I pre-wash my ticking for shooting patch strips). Also, what size should I cut those cleaning patches? (I found a previous post that stated to cut patches to 7/8", but I think that was shooting patches, not cleaning patches.) Lastly, is there a formula that I can extrapolate the proper size for other calibers?

I used to buy my baby blanket flannel from Walmart, did for decades. But last time I looked for some they had switched out from 100% cotton to 100% polyester. :barf: :cursing:
Wife gave me an old flannel sheet and I cut that up. It should last until I find a new sources of pure cotton flannel. I might buy a whole bolt if I can get the right stuff.
Yes, I do wash the new flannel before use.
I cut to apx. 1 1/2" squares. Size is not critical although for your small caliber a smaller size is probably needed.
Cutting methods vary. I use a large antique pair of tailors sissors. Some use various round cutters on drill presses, etc. My method is fast and doesn't waste and is, IMHO, safer.

necchi said:
For cleaning patches I did not wash my Wally Super flannel.
I cut them with a rotary cutter to 1 1/2" squares and use them for 40-62 caliber.
They work great! :wink:

necci, I put faith in your advice, even though it seems counterintuitive not to wash them... I got one of those rotary cutters a while ago, and I think it's just the cat's meow ... cost more than I wanted to spend, but what doesn't, these days?

so, I won't wash the cleaning patches and see how they work out ... by the way, is it for true that some folks put their cleaning patches in a mesh laundry bag and wash them >>> (Not going to THAT Laundromat, i'll tell ya)

:stir:

MSW said:
even though it seems counterintuitive not to wash them...
Yeah, I know what ya mean, but that super flannel readily sucks up cleaning solutions and water.
Maybe it's cause they don't use sizing on the stuff like they do with other cotton fabrics, :idunno:
If you ever use "spit patch" and have learned the awful taste of fabric sizing, you'll notice that it's lacking in the flannel,,

One batch of home cut flannel cleaning patches I failed to wash first, noticed the cleaning fluid tended to roll off the patch some.

bpd303 said:
I also use old t-shirts for cleaning patches. If I were set on using flannel I would go to a thrift store and buy old flannel shirts. You can get a whole sack of em for about 50 cents.

Flannel shirts are .50 cents at the local thrift store and they work fine. I bought a used set of two flannel sheets and two pillow cases to match, total cost was $3 whole dollars! That's enough cleaning patch material to last for years and it's durn near free. To use them I make a tiny cut on the edge with scisors and tear them into long strips. Then cut them at about 1 1/4". snip again at 1 1/4" wide and rip and cut to length. In ten minutes I'll have a hundred patches ready for my cleaning kit.

The thing I like about most flannel is the squares give you a guide to cut straight. Also most fabric places have remnants marked down to like half price for cheap cleaning patches.

I buy 100% cotton flannel at Jo Ann Fabrics and wash it before cutting it into cleaning patches.

Went and got some Super Flannel at WM, now have to cut and try it out. Thanks for all the feedback! Also, to pass along what I've found out: WM is discontinuing the "Aqua" color of Super Flannel, which is kind of the old-timey sea-foam green, and is on closeout sale...

Latest posts

Back