• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pre measure powder for range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would like to find a source for small vials to pre measure black powder to take to the range. Any sources would be appreciated. Also does anyone have a diagram for box to hold same. I am pretty handy with wood so probably build if I have a diagram. Thanks!

Pedersoli sells vials for your purpose. Just find a dealer that sells pedersoli. I am thinking that they would be expensive. You can also try to get some medical sample tubes on the flea bay. I have heard of some people using them for your purpose.

I personally use paper tubes that I roll and fold over a 3/8" dowel rod. You can use packing paper (unprinted new paper)for the purpose. I get this paper for free that I recycle from shipment that arrive at my place of employment. You can also use computer paper new or old. Old news print is fine to use and this is what was used in the war of independence.

I can make about 80 tubes in a half hour. You can buy pre made paper tubes for 14 dollars per 250. You can get them from Fall Creek Sutlery. Black powder has been pre packaged in paper tubes like the ones I describe for four hundred years. Hope this helps.

I find it easier at the range to just pour into a measure, seems like a waste of time to pre-measure for the range. Small game upland hunting I plan to pre-measure shot and powder in paper rolls.

selvinman said:
I would like to find a source for small vials to pre measure black powder to take to the range. Any sources would be appreciated. Also does anyone have a diagram for box to hold same. I am pretty handy with wood so probably build if I have a diagram. Thanks!
Something I use just for weekend range trips is 35mm film canisters free from photo developing places...I load 50 of them with 30grns Goex 3F, another 50 with 40grns, 50,60,70,80,90, and 100grns...keep each set in large ziploc bags labeled accordingly.

Alternatives smaller than 35mm canisters are these vials...hold just over 100grns:
Vaccutainersampletubes-1.jpg

I use poly test tubes to hold my pre-measured powder. They fit neatly in a MTM Case Gard cartridge holder. Don't recall who I bought mine from, but here's a link to another supplier & they look similar to the ones I use.[url] http://www.testtubesonline.com/Cryogenic_Vials_s/203.htm[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
selvinman said:

RMC Products in Mingoville PA makes item #ML046, a five-pack of red plastic powder tubes with orange caps. Dixon Muzzle Loading Shop in Kempton PA is my supplier. Check them out at[url] www.rmcsports.com[/url] and then order them from Dixon's. Dixon's can be reached at: [url] www.dixonmuzzleloading.com[/url] . Tell them that Dave (Smokin .50) sent you. Chuck and Greg are great folks and will take great care of you, I guarantee it!

To date I have bought at least 155 of these little red tubes. I keep them in cigar boxes, labeled with the name of the revolver and the weight of the charge contained therein. I don't pour BP at the range anymore, just open-up a tube and make smoke. The tubes retail for $.90 each when bought in a five-pack for $4.50. The ends are just small enough to fit into a .50 cal bore and they pour real nice into a revolver in a loading stand. Tubes are soft and maluable, so you won't spill any from a too-stiff tube! Once you try them, you'll be hooked!

Dave

Great thread. Lots of good info in one place. This ought to be a sticky. Covers everything fom CW musket or bigger to C & B pistol. Wonky

I use vials I bought at Eureka Tent that are for backpackers to carry pills or spices. They are Nalgene brand and I assume some kind of lab sample bottle. Will hold up to about 120 grains and that's way more than I need.

Sevenfastshots.jpg

We don't need "stickies" - we have a search feature :wink:

Hi there Selvinman.....I was able to buy a box of blood vials from our vetrinarian. They are the glass tubes with the rubber stoppers that those in the medical professions use for taking blood samples and such. They are great if you want to pre-measure black powder and they'll definitely keep your powder dry. I made a small wooden rack which holds about 50 of the tubes and I carry it in my shooting box when I go to the range. You may also be able to get them thru a surgical supply store. :)

I went to the first site and didn't see those tubes. I went to the second site and they don't have an online catelog?!?! Never got to view those tubes.

I did look at the medical tube site and those seem like a great idea and much more cheaper. Does anyone know how long they last? An how many grains to a ml (mili-leter?)

Rafsob said:
I went to the first site and didn't see those tubes. I went to the second site and they don't have an online catelog?!?! Never got to view those tubes.

I did look at the medical tube site and those seem like a great idea and much more cheaper. Does anyone know how long they last? An how many grains to a ml (mili-leter?)

The Kittery Trading Post has them. I ordered a pack a while back but haven't tried them yet.

Tubes

HD

Rafsob said:

The photo of the 100 I posted above is the 7ml size...they hold about 105-110grns...they're always for sale on ebay for a few bucks when their date codes expire for use in a sterile environment.

If you are or know someone who is diabetic. Test strips for blood sugar meters now days come in a little vial with an attached lid which has a thumb tab. They are free because they would otherwise be thrown away. I use them for hunting because they replace both powder horn and powder measure, besides being handier. 60 gr. fills one about half way. I form a funnel with thumb and finger for a quick pre measured charge. Works good for me

What a great bunch of fellow blackpowder users! :) Thanks to all! I have plenty of leads to follow up on. I think I will try the blood vials will try to get locally. Thanks again :)

I bought these plastic ones on Ebay for the scout troop!

Shipped fast, and no glass to break :grin:
[url] http://cgi.ebay.com/100-CLEAR...409QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

Rafsob said:
I did look at the medical tube site and those seem like a great idea and much more cheaper. Does anyone know how long they last?

I have one batch I've been using for over ten years with only minor losses (usually cracking around rim). I bought another batch a couple of years ago of a larger size. I had to buy 1000 at a time back then, but was able to sell off 800 of them to other shooters at a modest profit which paid for the ones I use. I think the poly tubes would be less fragile than the glass ones.

selvinman said:

I bought some similar to these. This size will hold all that you would want to shoot in your rifle for a load. You can see the amount of powder and the caps are water tight.

rabbit03
[url] http://www.containerandpackaging.com/item.asp?item=B390[/url]

Stumpkiller,

That's a nice set up you have with the ball loader and starter. How did you make them? Did you just eyeball everything or do you have plans? Also, I noticed the brass tacks you have on the forearm of your rifle. What are they? I've been thinking of a way to keep track of the deer I've shot with my Lyman. Those tacks may be the ticket. I have a problem carving notches in a perfectly good stock!!

Anyway, nice rig!!

Keystone :hatsoff:

Rafsob said:

Go to the RMC site. Click on the on-line catalouge. Then click on the "EC-Loaders" and "Speed Loaders" to the left-hand side of the screen (blue background) and those little red $.90 tubes will instantly appear!

Dixon Muzzle Loading doesn't have an on-line catalouge...they're a small family-owned business of SHOOTERS where it's likely on any given day to see three generations working behind the counter. The Grand Daughter just got a 12 ga. over-under for Christmas and was firing it out behind the store (while my family was inside shopping) checking the pattern! Pick-up the phone and call Greg or Chuck. They do mail-order all of the time and can usually get something out the same or the next day, depending upon the UPS schedule.

They're in business to make a living, but what they really make are friends!

Dave

The red tubes from RMC will hold 150 grains of 2f triple seven. American Pioneer premeasured loads come in some real nice plastic tubes that will hold 100 grains. 35 MM film cans are free and work, but are bigger than needed. The idea of the medical tubes is great ans since my wife is a vet tec I need to ask her if she has some at work.

Latest posts

Back