• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pre-lubed patches and cloth deterioration

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Griz44mag's comment on pre-lubed patches, https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/patches.118893/, reinforced 2 recent experiences I had with patches I pre-lubed perhaps 3 years ago. The home-brewed lube I used with a tight RB -patch combination, i.e., one which needed a short starter, illustrated perfectly what happens to too long lubed patches. To wit, when I started the RB, the patch tore away leaving maybe 1/2 of the RB covered. Accuracy went to pot as well (no surprise there), but returned when I substituted new ones. Btw, the crown is perfect the aforementioned patch deterioration and subsequent tearing has never before occurred with that rifle. In short, as Griz44mag said, don't pre-lube more patches than you need. What happened to the old patches? They went straight to the trash can!

Once, many years ago I saw a package of factory made pre-lubed patches that were tossed into the "SALE" bin at the local gun store.
The price was so good I couldn't pass them up so I bought them.

The plastic that covered them was scratched and somewhat discolored but I didn't give that much thought until I got to the shooting range.

I loaded and fired 5 shots at the target using these "good deal" patches and the group size was close to a foot at 25 yards!!
When shooting was stopped to allow people to reset/replace their targets I searched the area in front of the firing line for the patches.

All I found was fragments of them. Not one of them held together and still looked like it had before I loaded it.

I examined the unfired patches and tried to pull a few of them apart but I couldn't. They were still strong enough to withstand my finger pressure but clearly they couldn't stand up to the forces they have to deal with when they were fired out of my rifle.

Just to play "devils disciple" (one of my favorite activities) I'll relate a contradictory story. :)

I once prelubed a large quantity of patches with crisco and they ended up in the bottom of a box in a ziplock bag. About 8 years later I came across them and used them. They were just fine and shot great.

I'm not disagreeing with the "deterioration school" but suggesting that the problem is probably specific to certain lubes (maybe most of them!).

To prevent (hopefully) patch deterioration of home-lubed patches I let the liquid lubed patches dry out thoroughly. The grease lubed ones are sealed up. No deterioration so far.

I have a lot of ticking patch lubed up and stored in plastic bags that are not deteriorating. The lube is beeswax and peanut oil and others beeswax and whale oil. One bag was not properly sealed and molded into a gross mush. Otherwise all is OK after a couple years.

I pre-lube 4 or 5 patches prior to heading to the woods. At the range I lube along with the loading-shooting.

Latest posts

Back