• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pre-French and Indian Horns?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In March 1737, notary Charles René Gaudron de Chèvremont made the post-mortem inventory of Joseph Desjourdy de Cabanac, a lieutenant in the Cies. Franches de la Marine. What is interesting in this document is that notary describes his usual wardrobe including his military dress, etc... in his bedroom. He then goes to a smaller room, where Desjourdy seems to have stored his campaign or travelling kit, which contained:

A hunting powder horn full of powder.
A powder-flask.

Source: FrontierFolk.net - Colonial Nouvelle France/New France - Campaign kit of a French officer, 1737, Posted by Francis Back 2-18-11

Rank and file had to turn in their equipment when the left the service. So a common person would not have a military powder flask.

After searching through quite a few inventories from the Fort de Chartres area, so for I have found exactly ONE additional reference to a powder horn. They list the number of handkerchiefs and forks and other trivial items but frustratingly powder horns escape their pens.
From Natalia Maree Belting's book "Kaskaskia under the French Regime" the estate of Jacques Bourdon lists, "1 old hunting horn and 14 guns and 1 musket"

1 horn and 15 guns? did he use the same horn for all the guns or were, as I suspect, the guns were for sale/trade....
The search continues....

Description of an 18thc Kaskaskia gun, gun horn and pouch
Dave Horne to (Facebook) Le Pays des Illinois December 30, 2014
Been poking around the Kas. Man. Calender and.........FOUND THE COOLEST DAMN THING I'VE FOUND IN AWHILE!!! The only thing I was disappointed about (not much) is that this is a little later than I would have liked, 1781. It describes a dead French guy’s gun, powder horn and shot pouch. Even the fact the horn was made from a French Ox! Even though it is frustratingly brief, this is probably the most detailed description of an 18th century Kaskaskia gun, and pouch and horn I've seen. I found some other stuff that I will share later. 1781 page 875 81:9:8:1 Desposition at the registry made by Jacques Lasource, of Kaskaskia, deputy guardian of the minor children of the late Antoine Lasource, of a gun, engraved with a flowered royal initial, mounted in walnut, decorated with yellow copper (brass), with a black and green powder horn from a French ox, and a tanned buckskin bag of (for) lead. These items were obtained by one of the minors from Antoine Morin, in exchange for a horse, done without permission of the guardian or deputy guardian. Clerk is to retain the gun until the horse is returned by Morin. Executed at Kaskaskia. Thimothee de Monbrun; Pierre Langlois; Carbonneaux. (2pp.) See: 81:4:31:1

Seems to be much speculation. Documentation not so much.

"...all those enrolled by d'Iberville and Sérigny in 1694 for the Hudson Bay expedition were required to supply their own gun, powder horn and clothing...." source: 'Canadian Military Heritage, Vol 1 by René Chartrand.

I have a set of Texas longhorn horns, I would be willing to trade for something. I do not think I will ever use them.

Back