• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pre-finish chromic acid wood stain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim C

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about using chromic acid to stain wood with prior to oil finishing? If placed on certain areas such as the bottom of fore arm, wrist area, and towards the butt end before applying the oil finish it tends to give the wood a more older antique look, or patina if you will. I can't find any instruction on the method or even where to obtain the chemical from. Any input you may have is greatly appreciated.

Gun builders used chromium trioxide for stock stain back in the late 1950's into the early 1970's. It went on leaving a beautiful amber violin color that looked like a close match to original stock stains of the 18th and 19th century's. BUT! After a few short years with some exposure to sunlight the stock color would change to a pukey GREEN! I have seen many contemporary rifle's with this green tint and can tell from across a room that it had been stained with chromium trioxide. I have been told that the solution itself is very unstable and gives off very hazardous toxic fumes. So much has been learned in the field of stock finishing since those days. I would highly recommend using current available materials like aquafortus or the many colors available from folks like Laural Mountain Forge, Dangler, etc.

Thank you for your input captjoel......you talked me right out of that real quick like LOL. I will check out the LMF finishes you referred to instead.

Never had anything turn green using it
Still use it on some things, although is dangerous to just have around

William Alexander

I stopped using it for the same reasons but often
thought maybe it needed to be neutralized...By
that time I lost what amount I had....might work.
Wulf

When I used it, the way I mix it up and used it, I would make the stock almost black.
Than I would lighten it to the color I wanted with vinegar.

William Alexander

Back