• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PRB Loading Blocks - Dirt/Grit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy Folks,
We have several of the loading blocks for PRB but have never used them for hunting. Have always been concerned about the way they seem to collect dirt, grit, lint and etc around the loading bench and in the possibles bag. Of course one could place the loaded board inside its own dedicated leather bag or plastic bag, which would be placed inside the possibles/shooting bag but that would kind of seem to offset any advantage in using one in the first place.
Have noticed several individuals (posting on The Muzzleloading Forum) wear them completely in the open, suspended by a leather string. Or simply carried in a clothing pocket. I appreciate the block protects most of the surface of the lubed patch that will come in contact with the bore. Nevertheless, with our windy weather and blowing dirt/sand/grit, a very real possibility of the lubed patch becoming contaminated, seems likely.

Has anyone ever had a problem with scratching a bore upon loading from a block because of a piece of "grit" had become attached to the lubed patch?
Your advice/assistance in this matter is most appreciated.
Best Wishes

That can be a problem for those who care about their bore. I keep a leather pouch around my two bullet block with a bow tied closure, but then there is still the exposed muzzle to deal with in those mentioned conditions.

I think Wick's idea is a good one. Carry them in a leather bag in your hunting pouch, or a pocket. Carry a rag or towel with you to wipe off the muzzle of the gun before you load powder and PRB down the barrel if you think its needed. I carry a wad of 3 inch square cleaning patches, that i use for cleaning everything. The dirty ones go into my bag, to be disposed of later. When I think of it, I include a plastic bag to put the dirty patches in, to keep my pouch cleaner. Deer hunting is usually a One shot deal, and reloading a second round is done routinely, for a coup de grace shot when needed. But, mostly that second shot gets shot out of the gun after the deer is confirmed dead, at any target of opportunity.

If and when I finish my .36 rifle, I will be squirrel hunting, where your problem will become more of a concern.

I am thinking of just providing leather covers for both sides of the ball block, smooth side down, to cover the block when stored.

You might think mine hung out in the open if I ever bothered to photograph them. But that would be just for the picture.

In fact I've got a little pocket inside my shooting bag that it fits into. Shove the whang in first, then the block, and there's no tendency for the whang to hang on brush. Yet if I drop it after a fast reload, it isn't going to hit the ground either. I use the same strategy for my powder measures. Keeps them from getting tangled (or collecting dirt in the case of the loading blocks) outside the bag, while also keeping them from getting lost or dirty inside the bag.

Since I do all my range shooting out of my bag rather than off a table, it works well there, too.

Never had a problem here...I have my measure and block on the same leather thong which goes in the hunting bag when not needed...

I never thought the bit of stuff that might be on the bottom of the ball would be any trouble, I would think that all but the hardest material would be incinerated before the ball move far, do not advocate dragging the ball board thru a gravel or sand bed but even with moderate care I do not think it to be an issue.

I've carried a loading block with lubed patches on a necklass around my neck hunting/crawling through the multiflora roses for twenty seven years.And I have not noticed any undue wear on my deer rifle's barrel. For my target rifle I carry my loading block inside my impossibles bag. ( It is impossible to find what you need when you need it in there )

Thank you one an all for your input. It is appreciated.
Looks like I have an excuse for making another shooting/possibles bag this winter. This one to have a dedicated pocket inside the bag for the loading block and a leather string to help keep it under control, should I have the misfortune to drop it.
Best Wishes

I'm not going to stop you from making a new bag!

But here's another short term option. I've built a couple recently with 2" straps and put a small pocket on the strap right down near the bag. A 3-ball block fits just fine, at least up through 58 caliber. Looking at the blocks, I'm sure there's enough wood there for even larger caliber while staying slim enough to fit the pouch.

I point this out because it's easy to retro-fit one of the pouches to an existing bag, provided the strap is wide enough. I'm not going to bother with a whang on the block because it fits real nice. They're small enough too, that if I lost one, I could replace it with a spare in the bag.

I have just carried mine in my possible bag and haven't had any issues or noticed excess grit or dirt.

Back