• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PRB in a 1:32” Twist

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think your own experience and that of Sparkitoff pretty much tells you that there is a lot more to it than twist rate. There's a lot of "conventional wisdom" out there regarding ml guns and even when actual results contradict it.... well, somehow it lives on! :)

Some other factors that should be considered are barrel condition (does it cut patches), Muzzle condition (again, is it cutting patches when you load it!), the quality of the patch material, and some others I'm too lazy to conjur up! All the factors that effect any round ball gun regardless of twist.

For years original European Jaeger rifles were rifled one complete turn in the barrel length which could be very short ie 24 inches. These rifles shot round ball with great accuracy. Longcruise is quite correct in that there are a lot of factors that determine performance on target. Barrel condition, crown condition, depth of rifling and match of ball to patching and lubricant. Thinly patched round balls driven by a stout load of black powder may have accuracy issues in a shallow grooved barrel. Round ball wrapped in a thick patch can be very accurate in a fast twist 1 in 32 or 1 in 24.

Enjoy your rifle.

Back