• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Prairie oyster

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somewhere I have an June 1867 New York Tribune. In it are posted commodity prices from the New York Produce markets. They gave a quote for Ohio strawberries and other fruits and vegetables. I can only figure they must have been transported by rail. traveling by team and wagon would never have made it to New York City before mold and rot.

I prefer mine as just the yolk with a squeeze of lemon juice. Save the whites for a lemon meringue pie...

It might be as simple as over easy eggs not being as popular in the UK.

As much as I loved the country and the people when I lived for three years in the U.K. I never could get my breakfast eggs cooked to where I liked them. Saying "over well" just did not register. They were always runny and sunnyside up. I did not like at all. :barf:

In my youth {a long time ago}, lived on a farm in northern Minnesota and the chickens were free ranging and produced very tasty eggs which weren't refrigerated because of no electricity.

Eggs have always been a mainstay in my diet and this has continued to the present day....eggs "sunny side up" and the whites not too well done are eaten 3 times a week for breakfast.

An old "custom" around here that really doesn't make any sense {to me anyways} is a raw egg yolk in a glass of beer which I first experienced at the age of 15 and never tried again. The local bars always have a bowl of raw eggs. When drinking this concoction, one has to bite the yolk as it goes down and the sensation isn't all that good and totally lacks any flavor.

Lately when cooking, I use hard boiled eggs to add flavor to potato salad, chicken noodle soup, various stews and some other dishes. This came about after watching my son's Spanish wife cook her Spanish dishes....gourmet to say the least.

Easter has always been a pleasant holiday and in lieu of eating chocolate bunnies, I much prefer the decorated hard boiled eggs....even though on some, the dyes have penetrated the shells.

Some of you guys are spoiling my appetite by mentioning salmonella in eggs.....have eaten a lot of eggs seeing I'm 85 and it's one food that has never sickened me.....Fred.... :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Loyalist Dave said:
Rifleman1776 Said:

They were always runny and sunnyside up. I did not like at all.

As they should be!

Yeah Yeah Yeah, and served with fried tomatoes and baked beans.... :idunno: :shake:

:haha:

LD

And also with dried, very salty fish called kippers. I never could figure how those came to be part of a breakfast. But, I went to events where pancakes were served for the evening meal (dinner/supper). The local Brits were astounded to learn we Yanks ate them at breakfast. When you travel, take what you get and enjoy.

I like the white done. That's where all the nutrients are, after all. It's the yellow that's tasty and I like it runny.

With grits. And toast. And bacon...lots of bacon or country ham.

Let's leave OUT the grits if you don't mind please. Brain cells don't get replaced easily as one ages... and feeding them to children should be a crime. Just look at the South!

Back