• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Myers

32 Cal
Reaction score
Im sure this has been asked many times but it is frustrating on how things have become with the BP world. Im at a point to be able to look for powder for my Lancaster i put together but unable to find powder. Its a 50 cal percussion. Does substitute powder work in these rifles? Or if not where can i find BP to use? Very hard to find now a days for me.
THank you

I get my powder from Graf and sons out of Mexico, Missouri. There's other vendors that normally stock it, but I've had no trouble getting it from Graf. They have an "email me when back in stock" option.

Good luck, shoot straight and God bless,
Rodd

BP is available by ordering it on line. Might as well figure out how to do it this way because local stores that carry it are going to be non-existent in the near future. Order it in quantity & get others to join the buy, if you can, to minimize the cost per pound of the HAZ-MAT shipping fee. Government regs & local fire code requirements along with low demand are making it hard for a store to stock it. Sorry, but that's just the ugly truth. It's pretty much available if you have it shipped to you. I just got 25 lbs about two months ago that I split with a friend. Substitute powders "suck".

The substitutes will work in a percussion. While I shoot only real black, I realize many can not find real black locally and don't have some one to go in with for a large online order. While you can order smaller than a case amounts, the haz mat fee is the same and will really up the cost for small amounts.t

The only BP substitute I've used is Pyrodex. It worked well and reliably in my percussion rifles and revolvers. Just remember to clean the gun thoroughly after each session. Pyrodex will cause corrosion like real BP. (If you eventually branch out to flintlocks, real BP is the only way to go.)

However, I have long preferred real black powder, usually ordered online and in bulk. I get more consistent results with it especially for longer range targets. And the aroma and historical aspects make it more attractive. Buying in bulk, even with the Hazmat fee, makes it less expensive than the substitutes.

Good luck finding percussion caps.

Jeff

I usually order online from Graf and sons. Just checked, they are out of stock 2f and 3f.
Midway USA has powder in stock today. Goex, Old Ensyford and Swiss. They usually have a 2 or 3 pound limit per customer.
Graf has a 4 pound minimum order.

Powder Incorporated sells black powder, and gives case prices for mixed granulations (like 10 cans of 2F and 15 cans of 3F). I jjust checked and they have Schetzen, Goex, and Swiss brands in stock now. Caps too.

Some cowboy action shooters shoot black, theres 2 main online forums for that sport, you might look around there and see if theres local clubs near you you could contact about getting in on a powder order or get a couple lbs off someone from the club to tide you over. One of my neighbors shoots cowboy action and long range BP cartridge shoots, he gathers peoples powder orders now and then so they get the good break on the shipping costs.

Im sure this has been asked many times but it is frustrating on how things have become with the BP world. Im at a point to be able to look for powder for my Lancaster i put together but unable to find powder. Its a 50 cal percussion. Does substitute powder work in these rifles? Or if not where can i find BP to use? Very hard to find now a days for me.
THank you
The substitute powders will work in a percussion rifle. Use the volume measure for regulating the powder charge. The substitutes replace black powder on a volume basis not the scale weight. Some care is required in getting a hot enough spark to the powder charge, so magnum caps are recommended as well as heat directing nipples such as the Spitfire, Red Hot, or Hot Shot nipple. Black powder simply works better, but when all that is available are the substitutes, then the substitutes must be used.

Thank you all for the response this is a very good forum. I got some powder at Midway but for caps. Well nothing. I found some musket caps, will those work for me?

Thank you all for the response this is a very good forum. I got some powder at Midway but for caps. Well nothing. I found some musket caps, will those work for me?

"Generally" speaking, no, most run of the mill civilian style percussion guns use #11 caps. Change out the nipple and make sure the hammer can accommodate a musket cap and yer good. I have one set up that way and since I mainly shoot military muskets, it solves a logistic issue.

Powder- avoid subs if at all possible. 3f is fine for your rifle just cut the charge back a bit. Old E is a Goex product and is their "better" grade of powder. It's all I shoot in my competition muskets and it does well in my 50-70.

Your other possible issue will be round ball v conical. Most civilian type guns are set up for round ball although there are some with faster twists that will work with conical. You'll have to experiment.

I get my powder from a local hardware store that also sells guns. They've been having trouble obtaining 3fg powder, but seem to always have 2fg and 4fg.

Good Lord ! Last I got from Graf was $11 for Goex and less for theirs . Guess it's been a while .
How long ago was that?!!?
My last order from Graf was $18/lbs!
It was $11 or $12 three or four years ago and $14 at Angeles Fireing Range back in 2019.

I just paid I think $18 or $19 earlier this year from Powder Inc. It was my first purchase from them because they were $1-$3 cheaper then everyone else.

I had to settle on the 21.99 per lbs and got 5 lbs. that will last me a while. Now caps i need to find.

Latest posts

Back