• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Powders and Point of Impact

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Shooting a .32 caplock at 25 yards a couple days ago I noticed a definite change in POI elevation when I switched from Schuetzen to Jack's Battle Powder (GOEX made). The load, .315 Hornady ball, red stripe ticking about .018, 25 grains FFFG and a CCI cap. The change was only about 1 1/2" with Jack's powder printing lower.

It would be interesting to know your experience with different brands of blackpowder. Since noticing my POI elevation change at 25 yards I'm wondering if others have noticed changes in POI between brands especially in larger bore guns with hunting loads.

Last edited:
I got some Schuetzen in route , plan on testing it against older Goex and some of the last Goex made before the close. I have read that the Schutzen is a little hotter than Goex.

I still have a can or two of Goex and some Jacks Battle Powder. Never having used any Schuetzen I can't compare them. I've used a lot of the old Elephant and it gave difference results, small, but real. JBP & Goex gave me the same results, velocities, accuracy and dropped deer the same.

Absolutely a difference in powders, especially when you throw Swiss into he equation. ALthough I found Goex and Schuetzen to be very similar in performance Swiss is a big difference. My club just acquired some vintage Elephant powder and I am curious to see how that stands up to Goex.

Absolutely a difference in powders, especially when you throw Swiss into he equation. ALthough I found Goex and Schuetzen to be very similar in performance Swiss is a big difference. My club just acquired some vintage Elephant powder and I am curious to see how that stands up to Goex.
When GOEX powder was garbage in 1997 (move from PA to LA) I used ffg Elephant powder to replace the GOEX I was using. I had excellent results with Elephant but had to use about 35% more powder. When GOEX got things sorted out by 1998 I again used their powder.

My experience with elephant is it’s dirtier and lower power load for load. I mix 1/4 cup elephant with 3/4 cup GO and can’t tell a difference between it and pure GO. Most of my horns hold around a cup to a little more.
I normally swab between shots with a damp patch

Back