• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powders and charges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not shot true black powder for many years. After Pyrodex was introduced I only shot that almost all the time. Once in a while someone would come to shoot with Goex FFg and I would sneak a few shots off it.

This never made sense, but I have two rifles that started out shooting black powder and they were very accurate with FFg Goex. When I went to Pyrodex RS they were still accurate, but just not as good if you know what I mean.

I have bought several new rifles and want to see how they will shoot Black Powder. I have been told even inlines shoot black powder exceptional. Other then the fowling caused by it, there should be little difference. Besides, I swab between shots almost all the time.

I bought some Goex and some Swiss so we will see what works best in all of the rifles. This will be a good experience to get back to the old smell of true Black Powder... ::

There are a lot of places that will not carry it here, and many of them demand that you pick it up. After hearing about why it can be sold, I am surprised more places would not do the mail order/on line.

Musket,
Hate to "pester ya", but any addys along the R.I. Ct. line?
Getting hard to find anything for a traditional BP here.

Great news: D & L SHOOTING SUPPLIES carries REAL black powder... :applause:

D & L SHOOTING SUPPLIES, INC.
2663 WEST SHORE ROAD
WARWICK , RI 02889

[email protected]

Wow, don't understand that...I've ordered two different cases from J&J, and they were both shipped and received by me even before they received my personal check and it had time to clear...makes me wonder if there was some sort of misunderstanding or maybe your State has a unique shipping requirement...some do

Roundball living where I do, that is hard to say. They have laws against everything fun that a person wants to do here... :: The important thing is that other site had it and was willing to mail it. So they said it would be here next Monday because living in the middle of a National Forest, the UPS man only comes out this way once or twice a week. He must be scared of the frost boils, bears, and getting lost in the middle of no where..... :: (actually UPS explained that they do not get enough orders back into the woods to make a daily run worth while)

Maybe J&J has changed their operation... now I'm really curious because I settled in with them as my supplier so I better give them a call too, thanks

be that Bonnie was talking about BULK shipments, as in bagged powder, and not about buying a case of cans. At least i hope that is what it means. Last time i talked to her, in Feb., she was still selling cases of cans.

I am envious of you being able to have a choice. I'd dearly love to try Swiss powder. I'd dearly love to be able to buy any BP for a fair price & in quantity.
: In tests done by me back when Pyrodex first came out through into the 80's, I always found it to be less accurate than real black powder. The shot to shot Standard Deviation(variation was always more than double that of black powder, and the accuracy was always poorer, ctg. or ML, didn't matter.
: The Swiss BP is said to be the very BEST for ctg. guns, equalling most sporting powder of the 19th century. In other words, in most ctg. guns, it's 20 grains faster (in loads over 100) than GOEX & fouls less. It is the only powder Ross Seyfried found to shoot accurately and to the sights with suggested loadings in double & single rifles he tried.
Daryl

So your saying when shooting the Swiss to cut the charge down about 15% or so? I guess I will have to play with different charges.

As for Bonnie... I think that mistake is mine. Looking back at my email I sent them, I asked her if I could buy powder in bulk when I should have said by the case. So that mistake would be mine.... :: sorry for the confusion.

With charges over 100gr., that's the drill for sure. it is supposed to increase the velocity by that amount & seems to do jsut that for the ctg. guns. For expample, the .45 3-1/4" Winchester ctg., with 120gr.2F GOEX and 500gr. bullet, gives about 100fps below what the ctg. developed back in the 19th century. It normally takes 140gr.+ 30" droptube(yes it will squeeze in with a PP bullet, patched to bore size so it can be seated out, like back then ) to achieve the 1,550fps the load USED to give. 120gr. Swiss 2F will give the requisite 1,550fps from the standard 30' barrel, apparently. I say apparently, as that is what I've read.
:Originally, the heavy PP bullets had only some 1/8" to 3/16" of bullet in the case. That is how I loaded my own .45 3-1/4 Rolling Block & that is how it shot the best. This also was the loading method used for my .50 3-1/4" round in the Sharps with PP bullets.

Cayugad About laws in Wi.I have been to Weasels south of Eagle River and they have a different dress code than you will find in Michigan. What part of Wisconsin do you live in, any where near that CWD scare? Rocky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Eagle River is a great area of the State if you like to hunt and fish. There is some great Walleye and Muskie fishing there. I have been up in that area of the State many times. Also they take a lot of nice deer out of the big woods around there.

I am not in CWD areas of the State. I used to hunt in those areas all the time and actually grew up in that area, so I know it well. Family members still own property in that area, but I hunt outside the borders of it although the borders are growing each year it seems.

I hope they can get that mess under control.

Latest posts

Back