• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powders and charges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayugad

50 Cal.
Reaction score
As some of you might know, I got a new Green Mountain IBS Barrel for the Renegade in .62 smoothie. I have had some real good luck working up a #6 shot load. Now I have been playing with the .600 round ball.

I have been reading a lot of the different posts about powder types and charges. I will state, all I can get my hands on anymore is Pyrodex RS, Pyrodex P, or Triple Se7en. I have looked all over for Black Powder but no one in my area will carry it, and you have to have a ATF permit to have it mailed to you so I was told.

I notice some of you suggest FFFg and others FFg size powders. Also I have seen some real differences in load amount recommendations. What do you personally feel is the best powders to use and what do you consider a barrel 1" on the flats safe at for a charge?

So far all I have tried is 80 grains of FFg (Pyrodex RS) and a patched round ball.

thanks in advance.

You don't have to have an ATF permit to have powder delivered to you. You can order it direct from a few places, like Maine Powder House, J&J Pyrotecnics and others. As for a load, i use 70-80 grs of 3f Goex in my .62 Tradegun. i don't use a patch though. I put in the powder then an overpowder wad. Then i start a fiber cushion wad just below the muzzle and put the rd. ball on it sprue up, then an overshot card wad and ram the wads and ball down all together on top of the overpowder wad. I get good accuracy with this method. Might give it a try. If you have both RS and P Pyrodex, i would try them both and start at about 60 gr of either and work up 5 gr at a time until you find what works best.

Try here for black powder...

Angler's All
2803 Lake Shore Drive E.
Ashland, WI 54806
(715) 682-5754
General Fishing/Fly Fishing/Guide Service/Archery Pro Shop, Black Powder and Trapping supplies/Outdoor books, outdoor clothing and novelty.

If all else fails:
GOEX DISTRIBUTORS:
The GOEX manufacturing facility does not sell direct to the general public, but individuals may purchase GOEX Black Powder through the GOEX authorized distributors network. Contact the GOEX distributor of your choice from the list shown below for ordering, pricing and shipping information.

http://www.goexpowder.com/distributors.html#oh

No permit required...there was a lot of confusion about that when the homeland security "patriot act" was passed after 9/11 but BP for recreational use was exempt from that...you can buy up to 50lbs at a time before you cross the threshold that might suggest you're operating as a dealer then you'd need the permit.

I use Goex Distributor: J&J Pyrotechnics, Moscow, PA
Most recent purchase was in March where they delivered a case of Goex to me in NC for $227.

And they'll mix the case with different amounts of cans of FFg, FFFg, etc (and don't forget to include a couple cans of FFFFg for priming if you shoot or think you'll be shooting flintlocks).

On the other hand, if your .62cal is a percussion and you're not shooting flintlocks, then Pyrodex RS is a perfect alternative...used it for years in all my percussions until I expanded into flintlocks...still using it in a .12ga SxS BP shotgun I have

Angler's All does not carry real Black Powder. The owner is more into guide fishing Lake Superior's Chequamegon Bay while the wife runs the little store. I have shopped there a few times when I need something really bad and am willing to pay "their prices."

I was told about this ATF regulation when I tried to order the stuff from Natchez. Com. The person I talked to on the telephone said they could sell me Pyrodex or Triple Se7en but no Black Powder. I will try the other links you posted.

I really want to try some black powder. I think I will go with the Swiss if they sell it. I have read a lot of good things about it.

As for some of the loads you recommended, I will give them a try. I thank you for the information.

Here you go, This outfit will ship via UPS to you with a minimum order of five pounds, most of the others require 25.
http://www.powderinc.com/ I have not used this company but they seem to have a good reputation in the BPCR community. Good luck and happy shooting.

Watch yer backtrail,
Hawkeye

No you dod NOT need a permit to have black powder shipped to you , BUT you must sign a form with your i.d. and fax a copy of the signed for and your drivers license to the seller.

Yes I have already been to that sight (thanks Hawkeye) and seen the requirements which are not a problem. I think I will go with more of the FFFg instead of the FFg in the Swiss Powder. I realize Swiss is a little more powerful then Goex, but I am not sure of the actual figures. My rifles seem to like the pistol powder better for some reason.

Rebel thanks for the loading tip with the smoothbore. My brother showed up yesterday and for fun we went in the backyard with the smoothie and loaded the over powder card, then the fiber cushion and ball, then the shot card. We were shooting 80 grains of Pyrodex RS. We were shooting at 25 yards. We ended up shooting over 25 rounds.

I was impressed with the groups the smoothie was shooting at that distance. I did not go back to the other distances because my brother (who never shoots guns as I remember ::) did not want to. Before the day was over he had me hauling out two different Hawkins .50 caliber sidelocks and we shot off a horn of powder by the end of the day.... ::

The strange thing is I kicked the powder charge up to 90 in the smoothie and the accuracy went right out the window. I realize 80 grains and a round ball that size is a powerful load, but I wanted to try and get the load a little hotter. I guess I will have to use the .58 for the heavy work.. ::

thanks again guys the information was a lot of help.

I have looked all over for Black Powder but no one in my area will carry it,

Well cayugad, I contacted Swiss (Schuetzen Powder, LLC), and thay said that there are two in your area that carry Swiss black powder... ::
layout_swiss_logo.gif

Two locations in WI are...

Canon's Sport Shop
Argyle WI 608-543-3159

Olson Sales
Greenbay WI 920-468-4321

Hope this helps you...

loading my smoothie. The overpowder wad cleans the fouling from the last shot as you load it. The lubed fiber cushion wad then lubes the bore again as you load it. Mine does good with 70-80 grs. of 3f Goex. Mine is a flinter, so i have to use real BP in it. I think if you are going to go to Swiss powder, you might be better off going with 2f instead of 3f in your larger bores. The Swiss is a lot faster, cleaner burning powder. I have also heard that it seems to work better in the small bores, than the larger bores, but don't know this from actually trying it myself. Some of the Swiss shooters here can tell you more about it's performance.

Hey Musketman,

Who you showing carries blackpowder in the Binghamton, NY area? I've been going to Clarks Summit, PA - a Gander Mountain outlet 60 miles from home - and they now tell me their blackpowder license is "under review" and they had none on hand a week ago. Grrrrrrr!

Hey Musketman,

Who you showing carries blackpowder in the Binghamton, NY area?

I got some emails out, I'll let you know what I find out...

In the mean time, try these, they're all within 8 miles of you...

Local results for gun shops near Binghamton, NY

Timber Creek Sportsman Shop - 4.5 miles W - 100 Rano Blvd, Vestal - (607) 770-9112

Old Sutler John - 6.6 miles SE - 1254 Conklin Rd, Conklin - (607) 775-4434

Vintage Firearms - 7.6 miles W - 120 Nanticoke Ave, Endicott - (607) 785-3872

Swiss black powder dealers in dealers in NY.

Vantassels Gunsmithing
Evans Mills 315-629-4774

Olde Saratoga Shooters Supply
Schuylerville 518-695-6152

D. C. Hicks
Granville 518-632-5422

Musket,
Hate to "pester ya", but any addys along the R.I. Ct. line?
Getting hard to find anything for a traditional BP here.

I use Goex Distributor: J&J Pyrotechnics, Moscow, PA Most recent purchase was in March where they delivered a case of Goex to me in NC for $227.

This was their reply to my email when I was trying to make an order.

The only brand I sell is GOEX. You can purchase in bulk but you have to preorder it at least 3 months ahead, because I really do not stock a lot of bulk.

Also you have to pick up the powder, it cannot be shipped via UPS in bulk form.

Bulk powder runs 6.50/ lb plus 6% sales tax.

Thank you for your inquiry

Bonnie.

The other site that was suggested would not answer my email to get any information reference placing an order.

I was able to place an order with Powder Inc. out of Clarksville AR. I sent them the necessary paperwork forms by e-mail and then paid them, and was told it will be shipped tomorrow. So it looks real good.

The places located in Wisconsin demand that I pick the powder up there. The problem it they are many hours drive from where I am, so this was a better route for me.

I just wanted to thank all of you for the help. I will have plenty to shoot in the near future.... ::

I just paid $32.50 per lb. for 3F GOEX, locally. There is only one store North of the US/Canadian border that I can find it. The local store owner drives down to Washington state to buy it for us, then REALLY charges us for his 'trouble' Caps cost $6.95/100 as well. $6.50 per lb. would be a price worth waiting for or even making a trip for, if enough could be obtained.
: The trouble up here is there are NO shippers who will carry black powder - Pyrodex and Triple7 only. IT is impossible to ship BP here, in B.C. at least.
: You guys are lucky!!!!!
Daryl

Back