• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone objected to sending a DL copy to the powder merchant. The reason this is done
is to protect the merchant from an underage sale. It is a liability issue, more than anything else.
Like alcohol or cigarettes ,powder merchants are responsible for taking care in their sales.
Notice that now Bass Pro wants black powder items sold "in store' now. Well they just
paid a big settlement. Ammo merchants are being sued as well. Privacy is not the issue.
Government snooping is also not the issue. If you buy powder in America the Government
will know about it and we all know why--because evil people might misuse it. The bad
apples always cause regulation and some loss of privacy. I am not endorsing anything
here. That is just the way it is. Whether you provide the DL or not, the merchant will use
other software or methods to verify you, so don't be offended. It is just safe business.

Just a tip for those who only got 1f or 2f but need/want 3&4f.
This is down and dirty but it works in a pinch, I was showed this years ago using the GOEX metal cans so these new fangled plastic bottles should work fine:

Put a little of your Xf powder in an empty bottle (or old GOEX can - Recommend Only Use old Powder Cans/Bottles...for safety concerns!!).
Now drop a couple Lead Round Balls in and swish it around.
It will crush the powder.
Dont over do it.

It will not be nice consistent size but you can grind down some Pan Powder this way.
Don't freak out, the Lead Balls won't spark. Just dont go crazy.

I did this a few times after I was showed until I got a good supply of all grades I needed. Not seen it mentioned on any of the powder threads so thought I'd bring it up.
Thanks a bunch! I'll try it.

Somewhere a few years ago I saw a pic of a device someone made for crushing powder granules more fine. It was simply a small square box hollowed out with a round bottom, and a wooden ball was in the hollowed out center. Definitely wouldn't spark.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Not to worry, since the ship is on its way from Europe, it will more than likely be docking somewhere along the Gulf Coast. Alabama's Governor was on the news last week reporting that the Port of Mobile is wide open and expansion is also underway. Ports along the Texas Coast are open as well.
Not to rain on your parade but two weeks ago I had a load at the Port of Houston. Unloaded but it took me over a week to get a truck to move it to Brownsville.

Not to rain on your parade but two weeks ago I had a load at the Port of Houston. Unloaded but it took me over a week to get a truck to move it to Brownsville.
Not a problem, last I checked, the Port of Houston is along the Gulf Coast as well.

For those here in Phoenix, I bought Schuetzen 2F from a guy that does reloading stuff in Laveen. He said that he had 3F coming in before the end of year and 4F coming early next year. He had 1F now too. He’s an authorized Schuetzen dealer. If you look on the Schuetzen website there’s a bunch though a lot are kind of clustered together. He has reasonable prices on shot too (reasonable for current prices).

I think Schuetzen is the Wano Powder company of Germany--or was.
They also own Swiss brand. Correct me if wrong.
If they buy Goex it would be a monopoly.
Goex would be best staying separate for price reasons.
Wano has been making powder for 300 years and has
survived many accidents. They would run the liability risks
better than the Hodgdon Family. Wano is the world wide
leader in Black Powder. (last major explosion in 2006).
(Goex had major explosion in 2011 and smaller in 2021).
The big issue with producers is liability. Black powder loves
to ignite---maybe at times too much.

Last edited:
As folks wring their hands about what will we do without GOEX powder, there are 32 folks in Minden, LA who will be without a job if someone does not buy the plant and Minden will lose that tax base. Population of Minden is 12, 000.

In the 1950's , neighbor kid and I used to go to the local drug store and get the three ingredients. The stuff we concocted was like fine powder dust. It would go poof , or bang if contained. At the time w/o my genius neighbor and his chemistry set , I couldn't have figured out how to do it w/o the directions from his chem set. One day we made hot liquid nylon from scratch. Will have the scar on my hand until I die..........oldwood

As folks wring their hands about what will we do without GOEX powder, there are 32 folks in Minden, LA who will be without a job if someone does not buy the plant and Minden will lose that tax base. Population of Minden is 12, 000.
It's always sad and heartbreaking when anyone looses their job. Many firearms related companies have folded or have been bought out and split-up over the past several years. Those brand names which still exist have undergone major changes and will never be as before. These are just a few, Winchester, Remington, Marlin, and many others, and product quality degrades with every transition. Remington came to Huntsville, AL, in 2014, receiving millions in tax breaks for their 800,000 sq ft facility. Remington promised to hire 2,000 employees from the local area. They ended up hiring about 500 prior to filing for bankruptcy last year. Many employees were furloughed or layed-off over the past several years, having to seek employment elsewhere. The State and several localities were able to recover a good portion of monies invested in Remington, but not all.

Latest posts

Back