• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my tracking number for a Monday ship by Fedex. Thank you for the heads up and this whole thread, Gunny . The 10 lbs of FF will be added to my stash.
At my age, and shooting a few pounds a year, I think I am set for life on powder now. Yes, well within the legal limits.
Add that to caps, flints and over the top amount of lead in a dedicated backstop so I can melt again.....I'm through shopping. :thumb:
I wont be going through any of these shortage problems again, ever. If I out live my powder I wont be able to hold up the rifle or see the sights. Cross that river when I see it.
Perhaps I should target a supply of patches next. Couple of tins of mink oil. Never know.🤔

Ames sounds like your set for a while. I keep plenty of lube on hand and when I find a ball and patch combo for a certain gun I buy patches precut a thousand at a time from Eastern Maine. I keep a few small bags of different thicknesses to develop loads then buy a bag of bulk when I get a good combo. Will have my first custom Flinter in the spring and need to get some flints bought ahead of time but that should be all I need. I tried cutting patches at the muzzle and it worked well but for my shooting pre cuts do fine.

Good news bad news about BP
The good news: There’s a shipload of Scheutzen and Swiss coming any day.
The bad news: It’s on a ship ;-(
Not to worry, since the ship is on its way from Europe, it will more than likely be docking somewhere along the Gulf Coast. Alabama's Governor was on the news last week reporting that the Port of Mobile is wide open and expansion is also underway. Ports along the Texas Coast are open as well.

Not to worry, since the ship is on its way from Europe, it will more than likely be docking somewhere along the Gulf Coast. Alabama's Governor was on the news last week reporting that the Port of Mobile is wide open and expansion is also underway. Ports along the Texas Coast are open as well.
We were thinking it would dock in Texas, that’s great news… maybe PowderInc will have it next month after all

We were thinking it would dock in Texas, that’s great news… maybe PowderInc will have it next month after all
True, it could dock anywhere in the Gulf of Mexico, between Mobile, AL, and Brownsville, TX. There are more than a dozen heavily used ports not including Tampa. In the news, the news has been reporting for months that the Gulf's ports are congested, but nowhere near the problems that they're having on the West Coast.
Gulf-Ports

I noticed that there was a variation in the grain size in a can of Jack's reenactment powder. Maybe that's why the reenactment powder is for blanks only. I haven't tried any of the other Jack's powders. I opened a 2F and a bottle of 3F in the Travelers Schuetzen I received yesterday and it looks consistent and good.

So some clarification here...,
Jack's contracts to GOEX for Jacks Battle Powder. Jack's does not offer a "reenactor" powder under the Jack's brand name. The website says this...
Jacks Private powders are for blanks firing, pyrotechniques, and Fireworks. It is a Goex product.

GOEX makes "Reenactor" powder, and this is what they say about that product on the website:
..., this product is ideal for blank fire in Muskets, Carbines, Pistols and Cannon.

However, it is also suitable for loading in recreational round ball muzzleloaders, where it performs nicely at low pressures. With 100% black powder ignition, it is very reliable with every shot.

Please folks, don't confuse labels. From some of the results posted by other Forum members, there seems to be a difference. One forum member suggested that Jack's may not have graphite. I don't know, BUT I have seen the Material Safety Data Sheet on GOEX Reenactor powder, and it does have the graphite.

LD

So some clarification here...,
Jack's contracts to GOEX for Jacks Battle Powder. Jack's does not offer a "reenactor" powder under the Jack's brand name. The website says this...
Jacks Private powders are for blanks firing, pyrotechniques, and Fireworks. It is a Goex product.

GOEX makes "Reenactor" powder, and this is what they say about that product on the website:
..., this product is ideal for blank fire in Muskets, Carbines, Pistols and Cannon.

However, it is also suitable for loading in recreational round ball muzzleloaders, where it performs nicely at low pressures. With 100% black powder ignition, it is very reliable with every shot.

Please folks, don't confuse labels. From some of the results posted by other Forum members, there seems to be a difference. One forum member suggested that Jack's may not have graphite. I don't know, BUT I have seen the Material Safety Data Sheet on GOEX Reenactor powder, and it does have the graphite.

LD
I guess I should have investigated further, I never went to the GOEX website and made a comparison between descriptions of what Jack's was advertising on his page and what GOEX was advertising. My post was in reference to Jack's homepage and #2 page ONLY. I went back to Jack's powder page, and nowhere did I find any description in the text or on the label of the "Reenactor Gunpowder" that it is or was a standard GOEX packaged product, nor any reference to it being suitable for use in round ball muzzleloaders. I always considered reenactors powder to indicate "For Blank Use". The labels on the Jack's Powder and the Reenactor Powder are very similar and differs greatly from the standard GOEX packaging. I imagine if the reverse label was displayed, it would indicate that the reenactor powder was a GOEX proprietary product not solely distributed by Jack's.

goex-reenactor.jpg

Not to worry it's a common problem.

I'm trying to avoid folks hearing "reenactor powder" and thinking the stuff is all the same. It might be..., the folks at Jack's may simply not like the powder for anything other than blanks, and since it has their name on the product, they can tell the customer what they recommend for its use. GOEX may recommend their powder for what they wish, but I'd hate for folks to pass on a pound of "reenactor" gunpowder from GOEX at at time when powder is scarce, and when they need something for hunting season or targets, because they think it's just for blanks.

Probably a moot point since nobody has bought GOEX yet. IF somebody comes out with a new version of "reenactment" or "battle" powder, we'll have to see whether it's good for live fire or not, eh?

LD

As @Loyalist Dave says, Reenactor powder can be used for the firing of ball for hunting or target. As a reenacting unit, we use Jacks Black or Reenactor powder due to the cost. We go through a lot of powder for our muskets and cannon. We also use the same powder for our live rounds with ball or our blank loads. We perform a very stringent inspection of the contents of our cartridge boxes to ensure we have the blanks for reenacting and live cartridges for the woods walks. The Jacks Battle Powder or GOEX Reenactor powder is fully functional and reliable.

Not to worry it's a common problem.

I'm trying to avoid folks hearing "reenactor powder" and thinking the stuff is all the same. It might be..., the folks at Jack's may simply not like the powder for anything other than blanks, and since it has their name on the product, they can tell the customer what they recommend for its use. GOEX may recommend their powder for what they wish, but I'd hate for folks to pass on a pound of "reenactor" gunpowder from GOEX at at time when powder is scarce, and when they need something for hunting season or targets, because they think it's just for blanks.

Probably a moot point since nobody has bought GOEX yet. IF somebody comes out with a new version of "reenactment" or "battle" powder, we'll have to see whether it's good for live fire or not, eh?

LD
I'm sure that none of the frontiersmen, including Boone, Crockett, and Lewis & Clark, would have had a problem with the quality or grain consistency of todays reenactment powder. Todays reenactment powder is probably more consistent than what they had access to in the day. However, I'm sure they would want to know who doctored (glazed) the powder with graphite and why.

So glazing is not the same as coating with graphite. Glazing is a process used to make uniform granules and includes forced air to give the powder a specific moisture content. Graphite coating is done do increase moisture resistance, and reduce the effect of static electricity after glazing.

And you're quite right, with all of the small powder mills that existed from the 18th century leading up to the ACW..., neither glazing nor graphite would've been present. The shooters would simply know if the stuff was good by the results. Folks today or back then, doing DIY powder aren't doing either as well.

LD

Just a tip for those who only got 1f or 2f but need/want 3&4f.
This is down and dirty but it works in a pinch, I was showed this years ago using the GOEX metal cans so these new fangled plastic bottles should work fine:

Put a little of your Xf powder in an empty bottle (or old GOEX can - Recommend Only Use old Powder Cans/Bottles...for safety concerns!!).
Now drop a couple Lead Round Balls in and swish it around.
It will crush the powder.
Dont over do it.

It will not be nice consistent size but you can grind down some Pan Powder this way.
Don't freak out, the Lead Balls won't spark. Just dont go crazy.

I did this a few times after I was showed until I got a good supply of all grades I needed. Not seen it mentioned on any of the powder threads so thought I'd bring it up.

Back