• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gunny, I don’t think Jacks is just repackaged Goex. Had a bit of trouble with it in my wife’s ML O/U the bottom barrel would get a tiny hang fire using Jacks. Poured some Jacks and Goex side by side and noticed Jacks had some larger granules mixed in that Goex didn’t. Perhaps it’s not sifted as fine. Went back to Goex. Wife is once again happy.
Doc,
Doc, Gunny is right, Jacks is repackaged GOEX and says so on the can as well. I posted somewhere else about results I had with it while comparing it to Schuetzen and I proved to myself that it was nothing more than reenactment powder. Now, let me see if I can find a can and will send a pic!

Doc, Gunny is right, Jacks is repackaged GOEX and says so on the can as well. I posted somewhere else about results I had with it while comparing it to Schuetzen and I proved to myself that it was nothing more than reenactment powder. Now, let me see if I can find a can and will send a pic!
6E3B4C5C-75F5-418F-AF60-8AE23A96759E.jpeg

Our county has a 50# powder storage limit per household. Type of powder is not considered - just total pounds.
It's in the fire codes - not the penal codes.
I stay legal - period. This box goes to the storage shed - separate from the house, conditioned air and secured with camera and alarm. (As also is the house)
I do however - feel that 50 # of powder could be a real issue in case of a fire.
I have a cook-off cabinet box that will let it burn and vent without an explosion.
I however - will be watching from at least a half block away.
LOL, Griz, I don’t think with BP you can just watch it burn out and vent off, it is an explosive, not a propellant! It will just go BOOM, no questions asked!

LOL, Griz, I don’t think with BP you can just watch it burn out and vent off, it is an explosive, not a propellant! It will just go BOOM, no questions asked!
I watched a demo a few years back. The guy took a 4 pound sack of black powder and stuck a fuse in it - a LONG fuse.
When it reached the powder bag it just burned off - it was a very large flare up, took 7 -10 seconds, but did not explode.
I have done the powder trail on the ground thing with smokeless rifle powder and black powder.
Now - if you contain it - everything changes.
Find the Hickock 45 demo he did as well. Very interesting stuff.....

Last edited:
I watched a demo a few years back. The guy took a 4 pound sack of black powder and stuck a fuse in it - a LONG fuse.
When it reached the powder bag it just burned off - it was a very large flare up, took 7 -10 seconds, but did not explode.
I have done the powder trail on the ground thing with smokeless rifle powder and black powder.
Now - if you contain it - everything changes.
Find the Hickock 45 demo he did as well. Very interesting stuff.....
Containment is important for less explosive explosives. Think of the air bag inflators that were killing people. The enclosed bottle allowed the energy to quickly build up and detonate due to the explosive powder from the broken down propellant. The propellants in a good inflator blow holes in an aluminum piece of tape and quickly outgas into the airbag.

The Jacks that I had was labeled 3f in a black plastic bottle shaped like the new Goex. But as I said I don’t think it was sifted as well or the same.

Is the Travelers powder consistent as far a Goex standard would be and is it reliable.

I just found this and when I went to Travelers site they were out of stock on just about everything they have. Is this the norm for them?

Wow thats a bummer,I was thinking of buying 10 pounds of the Travelers Shutzen stuff. O well.

Containment is important for less explosive explosives. Think of the air bag inflators that were killing people. The enclosed bottle allowed the energy to quickly build up and detonate due to the explosive powder from the broken down propellant. The propellants in a good inflator blow holes in an aluminum piece of tape and quickly outgas into the airbag.
Glad you brought that up. I got a recall on my 2003 pickup on the airbags and have not taken it in yet.
With over a quarter million miles and it has not killed me yet, I wonder just how critical this really is.

Wow thats a bummer,I was thinking of buying 10 pounds of the Travelers Shutzen stuff. O well.
I ordered the 25# special - got mixed 2f and 3f.
I ordered it on Thursday - received it on Friday.
Claude, TX is about 300 miles from here. Except they aren't really in Claude - they are in Washburn, a few miles further NW. Since Washburn does not have a PO everything has there has a Claude PO delivery routes.
Very well packed, comes in white bottles with Schuetzen labels with Travelers verbiage on it. I compared the granulation and appearance to the Schuetzen I bought last year, can't see any difference in it.
20211023_161818.jpg

Glad you brought that up. I got a recall on my 2003 pickup on the airbags and have not taken it in yet.
With over a quarter million miles and it has not killed me yet, I wonder just how critical this really is.
Of the different recalls, I would get this one done. There have been a lot of deaths.

He is probably out of the Goex and most of the Swiss, but the Travelers Schuetzen 2F and 3F shows it as still in stock, even with the scare he said he would not run out of the Travelers Schuetzen . On the powder page, scroll down to selection, and toward the bottom, click on either 2F or 3F Travelers Schuetzen and it will show it has 20 of each in stock, which is the maxium his counter shows. Give Toby a call if you have any questions. When I called last week and asked how late he stayed open, he said he receives calls 24/7, and if you don't get him he will return your call. The Travelers Schuetzen is Schuetzen powder they buy bulk and package in the 1 lb. white containers. If you order online, you will receive an invoice after you have provided a copy of your DL with a link to the pay site. I ordered a week from yesterday and received my shipment this past Thursday.

That’s cool, I will place an order on Tuesday maybe it will arrive by Friday or Saturday. Thank you..

Back