• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Powder!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Travelers buys bulk powder from Schuetzen and repacks in 1 lb. containers, same as Jacks Powder Keg and Graff and Sons repacks Goex (back when they could get it).
Gunny, I don’t think Jacks is just repackaged Goex. Had a bit of trouble with it in my wife’s ML O/U the bottom barrel would get a tiny hang fire using Jacks. Poured some Jacks and Goex side by side and noticed Jacks had some larger granules mixed in that Goex didn’t. Perhaps it’s not sifted as fine. Went back to Goex. Wife is once again happy.
Doc,

I got powder for $10 a pound, nice for blank fire. When you go through 5 to 6 pounds a week end it is a good buy.
Ok i shoot cannons, and can get it in 25 pounds bag(loose).Will be putting a order in next year for 50 pounds.

Gunny, I don’t think Jacks is just repackaged Goex. Had a bit of trouble with it in my wife’s ML O/U the bottom barrel would get a tiny hang fire using Jacks. Poured some Jacks and Goex side by side and noticed Jacks had some larger granules mixed in that Goex didn’t. Perhaps it’s not sifted as fine. Went back to Goex. Wife is once again happy.
Doc,
I noticed that there was a variation in the grain size in a can of Jack's reenactment powder. Maybe that's why the reenactment powder is for blanks only. I haven't tried any of the other Jack's powders. I opened a 2F and a bottle of 3F in the Travelers Schuetzen I received yesterday and it looks consistent and good.

These are great prices on black powder! I would be jumping on a 10lb order if it weren't for the fact I live in a retarded lib-haven state that mandates "no one person may have in his or her possession more than 5 pounds of black powder" without a special permit and a BATF approved powder magazine to store it in. Oh, yeah...and you have to pass an exam and pay a $150.00 fee, as well. It's only good for 3 years, BTW. They don't mention the fact that applying for the permit probably gets you...free of charge!...on a watch list. Check your state and locals before you might inadvertently get yo'sef in a heap o' trouble.
Vote with your feet!

These are great prices on black powder! I would be jumping on a 10lb order if it weren't for the fact I live in a retarded lib-haven state that mandates "no one person may have in his or her possession more than 5 pounds of black powder" without a special permit and a BATF approved powder magazine to store it in. Oh, yeah...and you have to pass an exam and pay a $150.00 fee, as well. It's only good for 3 years, BTW. They don't mention the fact that applying for the permit probably gets you...free of charge!...on a watch list. Check your state and locals before you might inadvertently get yo'sef in a heap o' trouble.
Local hardware store that sells black powder built what looks like two seat brick outhouse to store it in. If you want some you need to wait while they get the keys and walk out there for it. That was not township mandated but insurance carrier mandated.
If you ever get to Charleston SC go see the restored colonial powder magazine. Copper bands on powder kegs. Brick ceiling and roof designed to collapse in on top of any mishap. Our ancestors appreciated the potential of BP.

Local hardware store that sells black powder built what looks like two seat brick outhouse to store it in. If you want some you need to wait while they get the keys and walk out there for it. That was not township mandated but insurance carrier mandated.
If you ever get to Charleston SC go see the restored colonial powder magazine. Copper bands on powder kegs. Brick ceiling and roof designed to collapse in on top of any mishap. Our ancestors appreciated the potential of BP.
1634932769001.png

Sheez, what State are you in?

Pennsylvania.
It is pretty rural here. Occasionally you will see a home with a large brick shed. An indication that a reloader lives or lived there. Don't need a masonry building to store your lawnmower in.
No one mandates it. Some guys do it. My home was built in 1950. Open a door in the basement wall and walk down 6 steps to a block and concrete fallout shelter which extends out under my lawn. I run a dehumidifier and keep powder and wine in it. It is a big space. Wish I could fill it :)

Our county has a 50# powder storage limit per household. Type of powder is not considered - just total pounds.
It's in the fire codes - not the penal codes.
I stay legal - period. This box goes to the storage shed - separate from the house, conditioned air and secured with camera and alarm. (As also is the house)
I do however - feel that 50 # of powder could be a real issue in case of a fire.
I have a cook-off cabinet box that will let it burn and vent without an explosion.
I however - will be watching from at least a half block away.

I got powder for $10 a pound, nice for blank fire. When you go through 5 to 6 pounds a week end it is a good buy.
Ok i shoot cannons, and can get it in 25 pounds bag(loose).Will be putting a order in next year for 50 pounds.
I agree cannons are fun . You should come out west some of the Rhondys I go to have cannon competitions, shooting at long gongs out at about 150 yards.
Doc,

Back